stihl ms 460 random high idle, or wouldn't stay idleing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air leaks can cause erratic / no idle. The rubber that you are holding doesn't look great but I don't see any holes. Next bet would be crank seals especially on the PTO side where it looks like the clutch got MORE than a little hot!

Air leaks can cause erratic / no idle. The rubber that you are holding doesn't look great but I don't see any holes. Next bet would be crank seals especially on the PTO side where it looks like the clutch got MORE than a little hot!
I can suck air thru the fuel line, clutch is worn, intake boot is "ok" but not great impulse line is fine.

who makes a good puller for the flywheel?. I have a vac/pressure tester coming on amazon, will test when it arrives.

19 mm socket. And of course it's reverse thread. Righty loosey.
I had previously miss spoke when I said puller for the clutch, I had meant flywheel and have since edited the post, I apologize for that

thank you for the links, any other ideas on what could help me would be appreciated, I am a beginner, I have rough knowledge and basic understanding on all of this, but its addicting to work on saws I must say...

My suggestion is to replace those rubber parts and rebuilt the carburetor with new diaphragms after giving it a good ultrasonic clean. I think the alcohol in your fuel is eating rubber for lunch. Use clear gas (no alky) and enjoy your saw for a long time (don't fall for 50:1) Mike
ps just my opinion, I am entitled to it after working on saws since 1986.

My suggestion is to replace those rubber parts and rebuilt the carburetor with new diaphragms after giving it a good ultrasonic clean. I think the alcohol in your fuel is eating rubber for lunch. Use clear gas (no alky) and enjoy your saw for a long time (don't fall for 50:1) Mike
XD I was born in 97 you have been working on saws longer than I have been around, I think it be wise to listen then...., where's the best place to buy fuel, I have always ran 91-93 from marathon with stihls hp ultra oil

I don't know in Ohio but call a local distributor and ask. Sometimes the local airport or car racers can get the good stuff without alcohol. Won't go bad sitting either, on the airplane fuel (at least for a long time). The local Napa auto parts here has some but it is expensive in the five gallon cans. Use your internet and search. Mike

I don't know in Ohio but call a local distributor and ask. Sometimes the local airport or car racers can get the good stuff without alcohol. Won't go bad sitting either, on the airplane fuel (at least for a long time). The local Napa auto parts here has some but it is expensive in the five gallon cans. Use your internet and search. Mike[/Q
I will, thank you.

well this could be a problem

Back