Stihl MS 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Gillett

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I did not want to keep the other post going as its all done. I do would like to know if and hope it don't
if the piston and cylinder go bad. Is there any one close to Independence Mo here on site that would
repair it and what the cost would be ? I know a Stihl service would be a lot, but would be willing to pay
some one here to repair it. I was able to use the saw yesterday and It runs real strong and I am happy
as a bug in a rug.

Lester

I did not want to keep the other post going as its all done. I do would like to know if and hope it don't
if the piston and cylinder go bad. Is there any one close to Independence Mo here on site that would
repair it and what the cost would be ? I know a Stihl service would be a lot, but would be willing to pay
some one here to repair it. I was able to use the saw yesterday and It runs real strong and I am happy
as a bug in a rug.

Lester

Is St. Joseph close enuff?

Is your set rich on the high speed jet nice and rich while your milling? I would come down in rpm a good bit to keep it alive while milling.

Not sure what the technician set it to when we cleaned it. I do need to ask Smokey7 do I need to add a little more oil to the gas when I mill those logs ? This is the first time milling with a chainsaw and what to not hurt the saw.
Most of the logs are only 5' long but have two that are 10' long. All I need to do is trim them so they will fit or band mill. I will take what you say the first time and go slow and not full power. 67l36driver I forgot about you and
St Joseph is not that far. When and if I need help on our saws I will give you a call.
Lester

Yes, more oil. At least 40:1. 32:1 would be better.

You need to tune it yourself. What the tech set it at is completely irrelevant. It needs to be RICH. You need to hear a lot of 4-stroking and it should only just clean up once you're in the cut and applying load. The tech should have set it around 13,200-13,500. Probably too lean for milling if you want it to last.

When you say "not full power" do you mean partial throttle? Saws have two settings. No throttle (idle) and WOT. The carbs are designed to mix correctly at those two positions. Running the saw at less than full throttle can create a lean seizure situation. Saws are cooled by gas and air flow. If you reduce the throttle, you reduce both of those.

Ok I know that there is three places to adjust the carb and the lower one is the high speed setting. Can you describe where and how to make it rich ? I don't
want to burn it up as i just have it running now.
Lester

Turn the screw out, left, counter clockwise. Do a search on here for carb tuning. Having your saw properly tuned for the application is of the utmost importance. It's not difficult by any means, but you do need to understand it and learn to listen for "4-stroking". You also need to recognize a lean scream. An air leak can happen at any time. Recognizing it can be the difference between shutting down and replacing a fuel line or melting down the top end into molten garbage.

Show us a pic of your top cover showing the carb screws. Also we need to know if the saw still has the limiting caps in place. In general the screw furthest away from the cylinder is the high speed screw. I would open it up counter clockwise about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Depending on how lean or rich it is now.

Back