Stihl ms 461r or husky 372, need a new saw!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would take a 372Xp, I had one, mistake I made was selling it.
Plain simple saw, lighter in weight, though slightly
less power than the 461, but tested and proven to be good.

I dont like the look of the bottom end of the 461,
looks too light in comparison with other cases.
I would trust a 362 in this regard, but that's not what the OP is looking for.

Have you considered any other saw models, Echo, Makita / Dolmar, very good too.

Either way, I hope you you enjoy your new purchase, sorry to hear about your loss too.
While these things can be replaced, a lot of work goes into getting back to normality.

Regards,

When did you examine a 461 John, and what don't you find to your liking? Don't hear of bottom end problems with 460s, what did you find to be different with the 461?

Actually, it's funny you mention bottom ends in this conversation, since the 372 had issues with that at one point. Not sure if that was the OE or what they're selling now.

Regardless, personally I'd like a 7900 Makita (Dolmar) if I needed a saw in that size, but only if there was a good dealer around. In my area, stihl would be the only choice. There just aren't dealers close enough to consider anything else if it's a saw you need to count on.

a 461 has bigger nuts then a 372, but the 372 is a way nicer saw to run everyday. Don’t even get me started on stihls filtration lol. The guys who think it’s good quite simply don’t run saws enough to have an opinion.

5ab6fbfa391b4e89f894c72b0570ce0d.jpg

Regarding the my comment about the 461, I was wrong, It is the newer model 462
that I was looking at.
Good job you pulled me up on that.
Search the OoutdoorPowerEauipment site, cahinsaw forum, for "Inside the MS462"
There is a lot of refferencing between the 461 462, and any issues with the saw
are mentioned.
Hope this helps, cant post a direct link sorry.

Gotcha. So just to clarify, it's the 462 that you've had a chance to inspect, and it's this inspection upon which you're basing your judgement about the case being thin and flexible?

I would not spend my money on something I do not trust.
There are posts regarding cracks in casings, cracked cylinders
around the base, and bearing troubles too.
I like well designed, simple, up to the task engineering.
There is only so much weight you can save, before you mess up.
There is a reason some designs last for decades.
There is also a lot of very happy Stihl owners out there.
We had one for 40 years and it still runs.

Sorry, if you answered my question I must have missed it. Have you inspected a 462? Have you seen one IN PERSON?

So, all good points, money isn't a problem the budget for a new saw is 1300. I was looking at a ported 372 from wicked work saws, any reviews of their work? I would get the wrap handle, high flow oiler and large felling dogs on either saw. It's a hard decision.

They spend money on getting it wrong,
whey not spend the same money on getting it right.

I pointed to a post on the OutdoorPowerEquipmet site, you can see it for yourself
and make your own mind up.
I worked in engineering for 25 years, I know what am looking at,
am not interested in word games.
End off.

Saws might last to long if they filtered air perfect. Stihl gotta sell saws to stay afloat.

I pointed to a post on the OutdoorPowerEquipmet site, you can see it for yourself
and make your own mind up.
I worked in engineering for 25 years, I know a thing or two, and am not interested
in education anyone, take it or leave it, did you check it out, or do you just want to play
word games.

Yep, you pointed to a thread on 0pe where you made similar baseless assertions about the strength of the case, and were called out as a result. I've worked in word games for 25 years, and I know a thing or two also.

If education isn't your thing, that's totally fine. If spreading around questionable information that is based on speculation or hearsay is your thing, that's fine too, I just wanted to make it clear to other readers which was which. A lot of folks come to these forums for education, so it's important for them to know what they're reading. Case in point: your first post on this thread says that the 461 has a weak case. Good thing we asked about that, since it wasn't even the saw you were trying to address. Next we have some inferences on your part that Stihl has gone too far trying to save weight on the 462, resulting in a weak saw. Fine, maybe so, maybe not, but you don't have anything to back this up, least of all a hands on inspection of the saw. And best of all, this entire conversation is moot, seeing as no one in the US can even buy these saws yet.

Latest posts

Back