Stihl ms 461r or husky 372, need a new saw!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear yah. I really don't need a 75+cc saw ;) but it sure would be nice. We will see what i go with, in the end, i really would like to get a saw all ported and built the way I want it, so I might have to go with a slightly less powerful saw so I can afford the port job. Only time will tell.

I am just saying get a saw that is suited for your needs. There is a big gap beween 64cc and 75+cc.
There's even quite the gap between a 461 and a 461r as far as options go.

EB you should get with some other guys in your area and run some saws.

Anyone else notice some of the posts at the beginning of this thread have now been removed as well as the posters name and his username o_O.

There's even quite the gap between a 461 and a 461r as far as options go.

EB you should get with some other guys in your area and run some saws.

Anyone else notice some of the posts at the beginning of this thread have now been removed as well as the posters name and his username o_O.
I also noticed the missing posts???
I will try and run some saws locally, thanks.

I also noticed the missing posts???
I will try and run some saws locally, thanks.
Not sure what happened, looks as though someone was deleted along with their posts.
It just helps to get a feel of what you want/need. Nothing wrong with a hotrod saw, I have a few, better than getting in trouble with hotrod on the street and a lot cheaper in the long run :yes:. Besides most rides don't come close to the rpms a saw runs, and I usually got funny looks running down the road on the back tire at 70+ turning 10k plus:lol:.

Well now my posts just look goofy. Guess I gotta go through and delete them. Not sure how the name got deleted from my quotes.

I have a 7900, and it's an awesome saw. Super smooth. Can't buy parts within a 45 minute drive, and even then, it's not as likely that something will be on the shelf as at the Stihl shop. Personally, I'd be looking at a 7900 instead of a 6400, but that's my preference. Check with Nate @fordf150 about prices on the Dolmars.

Ported Dolmar seems to be the route I would go if going new. They sure are smooth and sporty. In my limited running of the 461 they are strong out of the box and it takes a lot to get more. Not that night and day difference you see after porting.

Ported Dolmar seems to be the route I would go if going new. They sure are smooth and sporty. In my limited running of the 461 they are strong out of the box and it takes a lot to get more. Not that night and day difference you see after porting.

You ran a 461 that wasn't ported well.

2 of the 4 I had made a stock 660 look pathetic with a 32" bar

Well now my posts just look goofy. Guess I gotta go through and delete them. Not sure how the name got deleted from my quotes.

I have a 7900, and it's an awesome saw. Super smooth. Can't buy parts within a 45 minute drive, and even then, it's not as likely that something will be on the shelf as at the Stihl shop. Personally, I'd be looking at a 7900 instead of a 6400, but that's my preference. Check with Nate @fordf150 about prices on the Dolmars.
@ford150 hooked me up with a deal on a 6400 with a 7900 jug and heated handles. The saw is a runner with a 28” bar, it’s had a slight muffler mod. I’m going to keep it stock. I got to drop some dead trees and some sweet gums this past Saturday and it is very smooth and has good power to weight. I also have 562xp ported by wicked works saws. I don’t recall all that was done to it but that saw holds nothing back, pipey + torquey = smiley. I run a 20 inch bar on it. I really like cutting with it.

Wasn’t saying they weren’t strong...even stock they are beasts.

There is a night and day difference from a stock to a well ported 461..

But for a stock saw they run pretty good, muffler mods just make them louder with a negligible power difference. The guys that know how to port them well can make huge gains.

But for a stock saw they run pretty good, muffler mods just make them louder with a negligible power difference. The guys that know how to port them well can make huge gains.
Will have to give them another run at some point for sure.

Will have to give them another run at some point for sure.
Cole your a very nice guy :D.

Ryan, calm down, Coles ran one or two ported saws a couple times and he's not down on stihls at all. Unlike me, I'd never own one of those nasty things, husky all the way as all the others are flat out junk:ices_rofl:.
Hope your doing well Ryan :).

Cole your a very nice guy :D.

Ryan, calm down, Coles ran one or two ported saws a couple times and he's not down on stihls at all. Unlike me, I'd never own one of those nasty things, husky all the way as all the others are flat out junk:ices_rofl:.
Hope your doing well Ryan :).

I never thought he was down on stihls...im.pretty calm...did I seem excited ?

I'm alive..thats good enough for me.

I never thought he was down on stihls...im.pretty calm...did I seem excited ?

I'm alive..thats good enough for me.
That's the vibe I get, maybe not an outward excited, but yes.
If you knew Cole you'd know he has saws from all "the guys who know how to port them well", and that he's very non partial per brand, true enthusiast in my eyes, and a great guy.
I guess that depends on what your definition of alive is, I like to live life and to the full :).

That's the vibe I get, maybe not an outward excited, but yes.
If you knew Cole you'd know he has saws from all "the guys who know how to port them well", and that he's very non partial per brand, true enthusiast in my eyes, and a great guy.
I guess that depends on what your definition of alive is, I like to live life and to the full :).

I know a guy in Idaho that built the baddest 461 i have that's never been on a chainsaw forum..ive tried to get him on..no go.

Latest posts

Back