Stihl MS 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucew44guns

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was just a peaceful guy, minding my own business, getting along in life. I discovered this site, and started reading stuff about chain saws. Up to that point I was perfectly content with my Super 041 saw, never has failed me for 29 years. But you guys got to me, and I made the mistake (or was it a mistake? no, prolly not) of asking you, and one individual in particular about a 660. Well, the lust and craving grew, and today I called my dealer and told him to put a 30 inch bar on a 660 and have her ready for pick-up late this afternoon. Put chisel chain on it, and it just purrs like a big Maltese Tomcat. I quit beer 16 years ago, so this saw is way more than free I guess, just a little reward for me. Thanks for your encouragement.

had a mint husky 55 and a stihl 038 for my firewood cutting, now look where im at...lol.

MS660/066 Magnums

Bruce,
Thanks for your post. I totally agree with you. This site is so helpful but does make a man do things he normally wouldn't't do. Not bad for sure.
I run a 066 Magnum with a 20" bar and chisel for almost anything and everything. This is my firewood saw.

Being a former powerlifter and bodybuilder the weight is allot lighter than the 125# dumbells used for incline bench pressing. What a blast to go up against the 361s of the world cutting firewood. Overkill yes, but what a blast!

You will never regret buying a Stihl or the 660. And if/when you feel to scale back because of saw weight, the MS361 is the one.

BUT...my thoughts as I approach 50 is to buy a MS460 first, a 2# reduction, and then years later move down to the 361. One thing about Stihl, the used saws when kept as new condition, (which only takes some care and cleaning) bring great money back in re-sale. With the devaluation of the dollar heading to an accelerated speed good Stihls are more now than ever considered a great investment.

As long as we are healthy and strong might as well makes use of the biggest toys in your toy chest!

Play safe and have fun!

John

Back