Stihl ms 880 magnum modifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffnarr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello ms 880 owners,
I'm new to this site and signed up to this site because I know there are threads about or have been about modifications on the ms 880s.
I'm looking for someone who can explain directly on all details to get the full potential of use on the ms 880. I have read some guys modify the ms 880 ignition coil by swapping it with the ms 361 unlimited oem coil, bark box, a carburetor, big bore kit possibly, weisco pop up piston. All details would help step by step.

I just brought the ms 880. I plan on letting it break in, but I want the full potential of rpms. What do I need to doo???
I have always loved running chainsaws and all the work that goes with it. I would greatly appreciate your detailed efforts, I love to learn and you can never stop!! KEEP ON CUTTING
JEFFNARR

Well if you want any legit gains you'll want to port it. Now I love to encourage people to learn how to do stuff on their own but I doubt you have a lathe, rotary grinder, and several other smaller tools to do the job.

You could start with doing a muffler mod, timing advance, and see if that helps much. Does someone make a pop up piston for the 880?

Well if you want any legit gains you'll want to port it. Now I love to encourage people to learn how to do stuff on their own but I doubt you have a lathe, rotary grinder, and several other smaller tools to do the job.

You could start with doing a muffler mod, timing advance, and see if that helps much. Does someone make a pop up piston for the 880?
Right I dont have the machines to do the porting, as far as I go with a muffler mod would be a bark box. The timing advance is what I'm seeking information on that is legit. Pop up piston is available somewhere. Timing advance/coil to reach high rpms is what I'm trying to gather up on.
I want to gather up my parts and save them when the day comes to resurrect the saw. Ms 881 has the same issue.

Pull the flywheel off, take the key out, file it down about .025 but only the portion that sticks out of the crank key way. Jam the piston up with rope or something. Rotate the wheel counter clock wise until it locks up and tighten it down.

Bark Boxes sure look nice but you could achieve the same results for little to no money. Cracks me up people buy those things. "Bling for my chainsaw" :ices_rofl:

Pull the flywheel off, take the key out, file it down about .025 but only the portion that sticks out of the crank key way. Jam the piston up with rope or something. Rotate the wheel counter clock wise until it locks up and tighten it down.
What does this do or what is it for??

Advances the ignition timing. Some saws like it some do not. I've never touched a 880 so I couldn't say for sure.
If it works on an 880, if anyone has tried then I'll consider it. Although that is an interesting saw hack.

If it works on an 880, if anyone has tried then I'll consider it. Although that is an interesting saw hack.
Very common mod. IMO full mods without porting are: muffler, base gasket delete, and timing advance. From there it's port work. I do all these things when someone brings in a saw.

If you file the key down and notice no change, file it some more. If you have ill effects, flip the key over and you'll be back to stock timing.

Very common mod. IMO full mods without porting are: muffler, base gasket delete, and timing advance. From there it's port work. I do all these things when someone brings in a saw.

If you file the key down and notice no change, file it some more. If you have ill effects, flip the key over and you'll be back to stock timing.
Is it possible if you can send an example?

Be careful advancing ignition timing on an 880. There may be gains there but it can also really jerk your hand when starting the saw. I think Mastermind said he tore some tendons in his hand starting an advanced 880.
I would start with the muffler mod. I don’t know if a Bark box is available for 880, but you can increase your muffler outlet size many different ways. Shoot for 90% of the exhaust port area.

Find an unlimited coil. 088’s had an unlimited coil. You’ll have to do your own research on the 361 coil. I’ve heard that works.

Base Gasket Delete is definitely a good improvement as well. Do a little research about how to check squish. I don’t go below 0.025” on big saws.

There’s probably other simple improvements BUT the truth is that porting is the only real way to raise the power band on 880. These saws are built to run at 9000rpm. The exhaust and transfers have to be raised if you want to see 12000 in the cut. That’s port work and I don’t recommend starting on a $1600 saw.

Thank you for replying
I did do some improvements on my new MS 880. I did order a BarkBox and its really improves it. Also brought a couple air filters for whenever the filter gets dirty I just slap on the new one. Most interestingly I also went to a local airport and got avgas 100ll, LL is Limited Lead. Much better than Stihl can gas that you get from the dealer. Avgas help maintain the high rpm that the saw is allowing at stock. Small carb adjustment. The saw has been running really well with stihl HP ultra mix. Would never put amsoil in it.
Although I am going to look in the ms-088 ignition coil but the rumor is that they don't fit.

Thank you for replying
I did do some improvements on my new MS 880. I did order a BarkBox and its really improves it. Also brought a couple air filters for whenever the filter gets dirty I just slap on the new one. Most interestingly I also went to a local airport and got avgas 100ll, LL is Limited Lead. Much better than Stihl can gas that you get from the dealer. Avgas help maintain the high rpm that the saw is allowing at stock. Small carb adjustment. The saw has been running really well with stihl HP ultra mix. Would never put amsoil in it.
Although I am going to look in the ms-088 ignition coil but the rumor is that they don't fit.
Nice!
I think the two pole coil will fit but the three pole will not. You may need the flywheel as well. I hear that Low Lead gas actually has a lot of lead in it compared to unleaded. I would do my best not to breath the exhaust. I have found that high octane fuel wants a timing advance more than low octane.

Back