Stihl ms038 mag bar lengths?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Payson Oberly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all! New to the forum. Just picked up an Stihl 038AV mag (1985 I believe?) Was wondering what size bar folks run with it? I've got sizes from 18-28. Thanks in advance!

*Update: realize now, is not ms038. Is 038AV Mag

You think a 28 would be a bit much for it? I'm used to running a 461, so the bar length is pretty comfortable. Don't want to overwork it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You think a 28 would be a bit much for it? I'm used to running a 461, so the bar length is pretty comfortable. Don't want to overwork it

I dont think I'd go over 25" on it either. A 461 it isn't, and I'm not sure the oiler would handle the 28". I'm sure someone with more experience with them will step in and help you more. Like the previous reply, a 20" would keep it fun.

Sounds good! Thanks!
I dont think I'd go over 25" on it either. A 461 it isn't, and I'm not sure the oiler would handle the 28". I'm sure someone with more experience with them will step in and help you more. Like the previous reply, a 20" would keep it fun.

Back