Stihl ms151T - Any input?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold Coast Shipping

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi folks - I tried a search and couldn't find anything, but please let me know if there's already a thread on this.

I just learned that the ms151T is available here locally. Does anyone here have direct experience with it?

We use our 150t saws A LOT, and a new generation would be very welcome.

Any user experience comparing the 151T to the 150T, or observations about the mechanical changes made?

Thanks

And it desperately needed that added power. Here, the 150 was pitiful, 1/4 chain, and it still couldn't bury a 12" bar. IF you want a dedicated PRUNING saw, (that means twigs), and for some strange reason you have to have it, try the 151. Here, @500 US, 150t was a joke. I cant see the "Optimized" model being much better. Lightweight, yes. But so it a manual hand pruning saw. IMO, a turd, along the lines of a 019T.
My money would be a 193T, Or the king. A 201t is 3 times the saw, a 193T and 150T is, put together. More money, yes. But if a tool doesn't do the job, it makes it all the more expensive. Had to take one back, and two still out there but guys aren't happy. Sold a total of 4. Remember, I'm talking a 150T.
Sorry for the rant. I'm true blue Stihl.
The electric saw craze is very very intriguing. Some mighty good items out there. And some aren't team colors either. LOL

Differences between the MS 150 T and MS 151 T:
MS 151 has a revised 2 Mix engine with new cylinder and piston with countersunk head, new muffler and 10% more engine power compared to the MS 150 T, which gives 0,15Nm more max torque as the MS 150 T.
View attachment 866854

Thanks DND - Anyone with opinions on the merits of these changes?

And it desperately needed that added power. Here, the 150 was pitiful, 1/4 chain, and it still couldn't bury a 12" bar. IF you want a dedicated PRUNING saw, (that means twigs), and for some strange reason you have to have it, try the 151. Here, @500 US, 150t was a joke. I cant see the "Optimized" model being much better. Lightweight, yes. But so it a manual hand pruning saw. IMO, a turd, along the lines of a 019T.
My money would be a 193T, Or the king. A 201t is 3 times the saw, a 193T and 150T is, put together. More money, yes. But if a tool doesn't do the job, it makes it all the more expensive. Had to take one back, and two still out there but guys aren't happy. Sold a total of 4. Remember, I'm talking a 150T.
Sorry for the rant. I'm true blue Stihl.
The electric saw craze is very very intriguing. Some mighty good items out there. And some aren't team colors either. LOL

Within its intended range of application, it is an outstanding saw. Ours are our most regularly used saws. But that's a great topic for another thread.

I got my Echo CS-2511T for just over $300 USD out the door with the 20% one-day sale (now only 15%) and farm sales tax exemption. Even if paying full price on the Echo, wouldn't the 151T need a major improvement over the 150T to select it over the Echo? Bear in mind I haven't run a 150/151, just seems like the consensus was the 2511T had more power than the 150T, and is definitely lighter. Don't know if there are differences in how they handle rough handling though.

I've got nothing against Echo: We had an Echo 271T for a long while that was good value. It's not important to all users, but in my opinion the Stihl 150T clearly has superior build quality. Ours get used HARD, and with very few problems. I appreciated the Echo 271T for what it was, but working on it was a real PITA. For us, the savings by going to an economy product are just not worth it and we use all pro grade Stihl saws now.

Anyone here with actual experience on the Stihl 151T?

I've got nothing against Echo: We had an Echo 271T for a long while that was good value. It's not important to all users, but in my opinion the Stihl 150T clearly has superior build quality. Ours get used HARD, and with very few problems. I appreciated the Echo 271T for what it was, but working on it was a real PITA. For us, the savings by going to an economy product are just not worth it and we use all pro grade Stihl saws now.

Anyone here with actual experience on the Stihl 151T?
I run 150's, with a muffler mod and a timing advance they run way better. The muffler is simple to open up it pops right off and no gasket.

I have never tried a 150 or 151. I’ve only run a an MS192TC and a Lone Wolf 200T as an in tree saw. The 200T brings noticably more to the party than the 192 to a point, that unless the 150/151 were modified like Lone Wolf outlined, I think I might be better off with a good banana saw, but that’s probably a wreckless statement since I’ve never actually run one. I just think the 192 is about the minimum I would want to bother with while in a tree. Maybe an unmodified 150 would pleasantly surprise me.

I have never tried a 150 or 151. I’ve only run a an MS192TC and a Lone Wolf 200T as an in tree saw. The 200T brings noticably more to the party than the 192 to a point, that unless the 150/151 were modified like Lone Wolf outlined, I think I might be better off with a good banana saw, but that’s probably a wreckless statement since I’ve never actually run one. I just think the 192 is about the minimum I would want to bother with while in a tree. Maybe an unmodified 150 would pleasantly surprise me.
Where the 150 comes to play is its light weight and agility in a tight situation. Don't expect raw power . You can just start with the 150 and grab bigger saws as needed.

No I did not try one . I would bet they are not as ergonomic and as well made though.
Yes most of the echo chainsaw's I have inspected at local stores even the pro 6 and 8 series , although I never used, seem a bit off... ( or for lack of a better term ( cheesy) , when compared to the Stihl and Husqvarna brand however I do here they do run well ....?

Have owned 2511, 192, 193, 150t, 200t, 201t and run t540xps as well.
Modded 150t were capable saws. The Echoes we have now are superior, to the 150s, and 192/3s.
I take a 2511 and my 201 up for bucket work. When the echo runs out of fuel, I'm into big enough wood that I want more cc's anyways. 2511 for pruning, and 201 for removals when climbing.
I'd try a 151 any day. Loved how nimble the little b&c was and how little fatigue it caused.
The lightness of the 150 or 2511 makes up for the power loss. 200t and 201t's are boat anchors to hold out all day.
We're selling our 540s cuz we never use them anymore. I liked the ergonomics of the handle. But that's all.

IMHO the echo 2511T is a better saw, I got 3 years of hard work on mine for the cost of clutch springs, an ignition switch and 2 or 3 bars. My crews love them.

Guys have been going from ms150's to the 2511t and not going back from what I have seen

Opening the muffler up, alone, would probably be a vast improvement.
Unfortunately, it's not feasible in a dealer setting.
The EPA can be anywhere. LOL

No I did not try one . I would bet they are not as ergonomic and as well made though.
“Made better” is... arguable phrase.
Then it’s also:
-Lighter
-More powerful
-Has less separate levers to move for starting
-Has a diagonal handle permitting less strain on the left wrist in majority of cuts.
All these are “ergonomics” by description.

Latest posts

Back