Stihl MS192t Straight Gased Chainsaw Repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedford T

the1chainsawguy
Reaction score
I found a saw the guy said was straight gassed. It did not looked ragged and always looking for my next project i took it off his hands. Spent several days cleaning it and looking it over closely and it really cleaned up nicely. I had never owned or worked on one, since they don't have kits for them. It looked like in the end that it was just going to be a piston kit. I tested the fuel circuit and rebuilt the carb so I could see how it had been treated. the hoses, some long, had obliviously never seen ethanol because of the Stretch Armstrong effect did not apply and the filter was white and the other long lines were in good shape.

I never had to use acid to clean up the cylinder, likely because the guy had enough sense to stop running it when he sensed something was wrong or maybe it was just luck for me.. These little pistons have two ring and only use one circlip. I went with the oem piston kit and paid more, the Farmertec would have taken weeks to get and I did not want to wait. The oem kit was not high, about 25$. I did have a new huztl bar and chain that will fit it.

I did some videos after I tore it down and followed the steps of assembly. It was so dirty inside you could not have see anything before hand.

192t Rebuild project

First Look Inside

Cylinder cleanup

Piston in Engine

Assembly One

I just put a meteor kit in one of these. I removed the baffling around the exhaust port to make it a square port, instead of the little hole in the center. I don’t think it’s enough of a mod, did you happen to adjust the exhaust at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put a meteor kit in one of these. I removed the baffling around the exhaust port to make it a square port, instead of the little hole in the center. I don’t think it’s enough of a mod, did you happen to adjust the exhaust at all?

Nope. But honestly I was looking at it for improvement and was going to look at it to see what my options were. I wanted to just disassemble, clean, learn all I could about it's construction, fix, reassemble. Then focus on it's operation. This model is all new to me.

Did you take a photo on your improvement?

I’m bedating a 3/16th hole right where I’m pointing with the scrench. Or I need to severely alter the deflector. The opening is easily twice what it was before but the deflector opening has only increased by 10% maybe.

I also advance the timing 5-8* and it runs fairly well. Not getting any oil after reassembly so I haven’t continued testing.

c9cb7ed44a7f1de1a3c4b32d795d9293.jpg
927e1d81f3afe4276691aebfe5703172.jpg

Thanks for sharing that. When you say no oil I guess you mean bar oil? I was shocked to see plastic used on the housing. Maybe it's something simple there.

In one of the videos above you can see that's not much to the oiler.

I look forward to messing with the muffler. I might get a used one to cut on. I have a friend I will discuss the improvement any porting might bring. It's fine on it's own. But I have this need to mess :)

Latest posts

Back