Stihl MS193T or what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttercup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a new (and better than the one I already have) top handle saw for next year season.
I've looked at the Hus.T435 and it would be perfect for the weight, power and cost, but I've read some reports online that made me hesitant on it.
I don't need it to be particularly small and light weight because I'm not climbing trees with it, but the pro models Hus.T540XP and the MS201T is way to expensive.
The ECHO CS-360TES is in the same cost segment as the MS193T, but I won't be able to handle it before I buy and make sure there is enough space for my left hand with gloves on the front handle not to prematurely engage the chain brake.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

So my conclusion so far is;

The best buy would probably be getting a MS200T from the lone wolf guy...

Apart from that;
- I might be happy indeed with the Hus.T435.
- I would most likely be happy with the MS193T.

However, I did find a local dealer that had the Echo in store...
The Echo does not have a magnesium frame like the Husqvarna and Stihl pro models, but it seems to me a proper solid quality tool.
The right hand grip fits my hand perfectly (my right hand pinky finger is just like a permanent hook due to an injury when I was a kid) and it has an adjustable support at the back of the handle as well.
The left hand / front grip is comfortable especially with the saw at felling position. I wouldn't mind it have just a little more meat on it to hold on to though, it's ok but I might try some bicycle steering tape on it to beef it up some.
The chain brake guard is solid hinged, moves nice and firmly and gives plenty space for my left hand with gloves on (the chain brake is activated on the picture).
Adjustable oil pump :happybanana:

It started easy, ran quite rich and needed some throttle to keep running the first few minutes - sounded a bit like it was about to drown even with the choke off.
When it started getting warm after a couple of minutes it ran quite nicely with a very low idle but still slightly on the rich side I suspect, I might check it with my tachometer and adjust it if needed later when I've got to know it better.
Nice sound too!

It will be a nice and suitable companion to my 7910 for sure.
RIMG0002.JPG

After using my Echo Cs-355T for two years, I must admit that it was a great buy. It seems to be a good Stihl 201T clone for half the price. On occasion I have pulled a 16" bar with it. The Echo CS-360T seems to be almost identical.

After using my Echo Cs-355T for two years, I must admit that it was a great buy. It seems to be a good Stihl 201T clone for half the price. On occasion I have pulled a 16" bar with it. The Echo CS-360T seems to be almost identical.

It's good for me to know you where happy with your buy, thanks.

It don't look much like a 201T to me at all but of course I haven't taken it apart and examined it inside, that said calling the Echo saw a "clone" seems to me somewhat misplaced.
However it would be strange if the industry competitors does not look at each other's products to keep up with development, in fact it would be strange if "any" company - like Stihl, does not do that themselves.
Stihl have 2 T(gas) models as far as I know, Husqvarna have 3 T(gas) models as far as I know, Echo have a whole fleet of T models in all shapes and dimensions.
I think it's also worth mentioning that Japan have a unique development culture, and a profound and unique tree care culture as well.

Anyway, my decision is based on just that; in that cost segment (Husqvarna T435, Stihl MS193T, Echo CS-360T) - where do I get the most for my money...

The Echo will do the job at lower cost. A muffler mod will make it run a lot better.

T540 is powerful but expensive with some fragile parts and a difficult maintenance design.

193 shouldn’t even be in the running. Underpowered, expensive to maintain, same cost as the Echo.

Used 201t would be another good option in the $350 range.

The Echo will do the job at lower cost. A muffler mod will make it run a lot better.

T540 is powerful but expensive with some fragile parts and a difficult maintenance design.

193 shouldn’t even be in the running. Underpowered, expensive to maintain, same cost as the Echo.

Used 201t would be another good option in the $350 range.

Well it's all about the weight as I see it, at say 3kg it will be handier and more maneuverable if you need that more than power.
At 4kg you might get power that will expand the usability in some way, but if you need a tool to cut off a huge amount of small branches you might still be better off with a 3kg saw with a smaller bar.

Well it's all about the weight as I see it, at say 3kg it will be handier and more maneuverable if you need that more than power.
At 4kg you might get power that will expand the usability in some way, but if you need a tool to cut off a huge amount of small branches you might still be better off with a 3kg saw with a smaller bar.

I hear you on weight and maneuvreability, but that’s the realm of the 2511 and 150. Both saws give a 193 a run in strength and are much lighter.

Really, general ground work wants a saw that can cut 12” wood efficiently without constant babying. 35cc seems like your minimum size.

I recently cut about a cord of dead 3-8” diameter sticks into firewood with a 193. It was fine, but much slower than the 201 I grabbed when the 193 got dull (dead honeylocust is hard on chain).

But if you’re really into the 193, get a used 192. Parts are plentiful (so much cheaper), the saw is simpler, and the power is the same. The 193 has no aftermarket parts and many points of designed obsolescence. It’s not a terrible saw, but it puts you back at the dealership when it breaks. Echo 271t would be another potential 27cc saw, but again, less affordable than the 192.

I’ve seen a lot of guys buy 193, 192 and cs271 just to be disappointed in it after a few months. Usually they buy it because the price is easier to swallow but it’s not enough saw for regular work above 10”. They push it too far and it breaks. Then the repair bill is 70% of a new saw.

The Echo 355/360 would be a better buy in that price range unless you already have a bigger saw for larger cuts. It will be more durable, cut faster, and cost less in the long run.

the 019t was overpriced crap, then the 190t was overpriced crap, but then the 191t and 192t and 193t really did a great job at being overpriced crap. Luckily some were really unreliable to.

Dont they bascially share the same specs as the ms170? and then they release them as a back handle ms192........proving you cant polish a turd but you can sell em with a stihl badge on them

I am pretty happy with my 193T, had it years of which 2 were spent as a professional climber, & trimmer for a large company.
I will say though, it needs a solid tuneup out of the box before it runs well. When I first got mine it would have trouble staying idling in the bar down position & would stall out while climbing with it hung on my harness. I spent a little time troubleshooting it as I was plenty pissed. I also had a lot of trouble with some restarts if I ran it for a few minutes, and shut it down, or it stalled.
All these problems went away after a tuneup & a few hours of use. problems have not resurfaced even once for the last 3 years of clearing trails and climbing.
The only Mods I have done was to tune the carb, to drill 4 holes in the bottom of the muffler, and to advance timing 6*. (pics soon)

This is what I did for a muffler mod. It seemed to make quite a big difference in pickup, and it complemented the timing adjustment nicely. After the carb was retuned I have had zero issues with this saw, and I do regularly cut large wood clearing trails. This was a couple ago, several cuts on a full 14" bar sized oak limb.
No issues to date with heat & have been doing this for years.

Attachments

• 1B4B6153-E70C-4DCC-8282-3799B5216735.jpeg
    1B4B6153-E70C-4DCC-8282-3799B5216735.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 23BFE8CD-0C0D-43B3-AFA7-AFE024C8586E.jpeg
    23BFE8CD-0C0D-43B3-AFA7-AFE024C8586E.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 7
Back