Stihl ms201t Bog / Low Compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having some repeated issues with my ms201t climbing saw. I purchased it in 2016. Up until 2019 it worked great, but then started bogging down under load or even just WOT without a load. It also only started with starting fluid.

Finally I had the sense to check compression and whatdya know, it was 90 psi. I ordered the Hyway advanced kit from Saw Again. Here's the link:
https://www.sawagain.com/hyway-stihl-ms-201-t-cylinder-piston-and-rings-assembly-new-11450201200/

Right after installing, the saw would start on 2nd or 3rd pull without any starting fluid. And she ripped again. I figured an aftermarket piston would need replacement sooner than OEM, but figured I'd get at least a year out of it, and that would be fine with me.

Fast forward to about 7-8 hours of use and the SAME symptoms started. Heavy bogging under load and even just at WOT with no load. I tested the compression just tonight and I'm down to 60 psi!!!

This is crazy. I would just order another Hyway but there has to be something causing this. Any advice?

-Alex

Hey guys,

I'm having some repeated issues with my ms201t climbing saw. I purchased it in 2016. Up until 2019 it worked great, but then started bogging down under load or even just WOT without a load. It also only started with starting fluid.

Finally I had the sense to check compression and whatdya know, it was 90 psi. I ordered the Hyway advanced kit from Saw Again. Here's the link:
https://www.sawagain.com/hyway-stihl-ms-201-t-cylinder-piston-and-rings-assembly-new-11450201200/

Right after installing, the saw would start on 2nd or 3rd pull without any starting fluid. And she ripped again. I figured an aftermarket piston would need replacement sooner than OEM, but figured I'd get at least a year out of it, and that would be fine with me.

Fast forward to about 7-8 hours of use and the SAME symptoms started. Heavy bogging under load and even just at WOT with no load. I tested the compression just tonight and I'm down to 60 psi!!!

This is crazy. I would just order another Hyway but there has to be something causing this. Any advice?

-Alex
First of all what compression tester are you using and is it of known accuracy? Did you pull the saw over till the compression stopped rising or did you pull a certain amount of times? Does it give good readings in other saws? OEM is the best way to go on parts.Dont use the same stuff again use OEM.

Latest posts

Back