Stihl MS201T Ignition Module

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thought.
I've seen a few electronic gadgets with (factory deemed "non-replaceable") rechargable cells soldered into circuits.
If these doo-dads were left without the user changeable cells
in the battery box, the memory cell would discharge and you loose everything.
Needs a little time with power applied to get the internal cell charged to get things to run correctly again.
I have a Panasonic camera with this sort of setup.

What's inside of the saw module, that holds the settings?
Is it "solid state" in other words hard wired.
Is it hard coded aka firmware?
what power situation is needed to wake it up.
Does it need a few pulls to store a small charge in capacitor
that serves to feed the operation of the "processor" then it can do the job of sensing and deciding?

My saw is a non mtronic saw. I havent tried spinning it to 2800 rpm mostly because I don't think I can pull the starter that hard. Maybe I can chuck the output side of crank into a cordless drill. Has anyone cut these coils open I would love to see whats inside them. I tried a 192 coil and it sparked once and never again. I am so confused. Is there something in the coil that needs to be excided? would a external power source waken them? If nobody else has I think I gotta cut one open.

Update. I got the 192 coil to fire but not run. Holding/grounding a sparkplug on saw it has a nice bright blue spark but when in the cylinder it kinda wants to go but uktimatly floods. Ive tried more and less gap on the plug and flywheel. Btw my flywheel is advanced havent tried adjusting the timing yet. Since it doesnt wanna run i been using my old beat up echo 330t thats mm and advanced. Surprisingly although heavier and louder having smaller cutting teeth it eats thru the wood just as fast. It definitely dont feel like it has one less hp than a 201 and it sure doesn't motivate me to **** with the 201 anymore. Thinking about it not once has the echo had a single problem unlike this pos 201. In the last year this 201 has had more problems than all 10 of my other saws combined. Stihl if you read this why cant I import a 200 from a non epa compliant country? because your 201 model sucks fat…..

There is a difference between 201 and 192 coils although they have the same bolt holes the iron core is not the same. The original coil on the 201 coil pickup legs are 19.7mm apart and the 192 is 17.2mm apart. Does that advance the spark on my already advanced flywheel? I think it does and since the magnets on the flywheel are spaced apart specificly for the larger core for me I get a weak spark on the 192 replacement coil . Even if I retarded the flywheel enough to run it will likely suck with such a dim spark and having such a long ht lead isnt helping either. Anybody tried the 192 flywheel on the 201? This sucks because the price difference between the two coils is a hundred bucks. Another nail in this saws coffin. I guess i am back using my 13 year old echo 330, oh well it runs as strong as this 201 ever did. And yes the 330 is modified every way imaginable thats why it feels as powerful.

Hello all first time post. My ms201t is having some problems and I am seeking advice. It has no problem brushing out a tree, but once I cut the seconed or third piece of wood it dies as if I hit the kill switch. It will start right back up but then die when I put it back in the wood and pull the trigger. I have bought a replacement saw but would love to fix the problem so I can either sell or hang on for a nice spare. I am no mechanic but am thinking its the coil. Replacement coils are over 100 dollars. im thinking of buying a new one and attempting to fix myself, but I can't really afford to be wrong. The fact that it starts back up when it dies has me a little skeptical that the coil is bad. Input appreciated!

Could be your coil, but it could be lots of other things too. I would pressure/vac test first. If that holds then I would try to swap in a different known good carb. If that doesn't fix your problem THEN I would swap in a known good coil. Find a running saw that you can swap parts from and then buy a new part after you figure it out.

IF you have a 201tc-m I would check the carb solenoid first. Make sure the o-ring is not damaged. Even then, I had a new one leak out of the box with a fresh o-ring. A thin layer of ThreeBond 1184 at the top of the solenoid where it leaves the carb body sealed it and it now runs perfectly. Be super careful if you try the 1184. A tiny bit getting into the solenoid or the bottom of the solenoid housing could wreck your whole carb.

Could be your coil, but it could be lots of other things too. I would pressure/vac test first. If that holds then I would try to swap in a different known good carb. If that doesn't fix your problem THEN I would swap in a known good coil. Find a running saw that you can swap parts from and then buy a new part after you figure it out.

IF you have a 201tc-m I would check the carb solenoid first. Make sure the o-ring is not damaged. Even then, I had a new one leak out of the box with a fresh o-ring. A thin layer of ThreeBond 1184 at the top of the solenoid where it leaves the carb body sealed it and it now runs perfectly. Be super careful if you try the 1184. A tiny bit getting into the solenoid or the bottom of the solenoid housing could wreck your whole carb.

Yes thanks to a fix that Giles had tried and worked for me also. If you would like to know send Giles or me a PM. Thanks
I am interested in this fix . additionally im haveing an issue where i keep going thru spark plugs.some times i get2-3 days some time a month and a half .any suggestions.

An FYI for anyone else having this problem with Stihl ignition modules.
Not so much as a Question, but a heads up for anyone who is having problems with their Stihl MS201T
I run a Small engine shop and am a third generation small engine mechanic and have never run into one like this. Customer brought me his Stihl saw said it just quit and would not restart. Checked spark (None) Disconnected the module kill wire still no spark. Okay needs a new ignition module. Ordered one postal service ran over that one with fork truck. On to number 2. Installed proceeded to test spark (Nothing) Okay check mounting - good air gap - good continuity from coil mount to cylinder - good No spark. Decided must have a defective module. Number 3 Same results (No Spark) Spent sleepless nights asking myself what I was missing here. Checked all forums for possible other instances of these being bad. Finally I spoke to another long time Stihl Dealer. He knew of and had this happen to him. Stihl has and know they have an issue with the 1145 400 1303 ignition modules for these saws. So before you think you have done something wrong it may not be so. On to Coil number 4 has to be a good one out there. Right? and as pointed out from another forum the flywheel magnets are good.
Thats nothing try the same exact scenario with the bad parts new 3 times mind you on the lower boom hydraulic cylinder on my aerial lift of Connecticut Bucket Truck.

Thank you so much for the reply..... Yes I've even thought of that... I have a pile of junk 192 s... And I'm right along with you... Will not take a 201 in for repair.... These four saws we're taking in on trade... I personally don't feel that they are worth 120 dollar module... To try to get 250 out of them running..... I have run Stihl saws for over 40 years... I personally feel that after 2011 they all went to crap.... I thank you for your time... And thanks for the info
I have had a number of issues with the Stihl MS201T. I, too, have been working on small engines since I was a kid, and have a small engine repair service, and I currently have a MS201T that is giving me nothing but fits! And, the latest problem is that the ignition module has failed. This saw has been a 4 month project that has cost me a fortune in parts. I have never had a saw beat me, but this one may be the first, for spending another $120+ for an ignition module seems like throwing more good money after bad. I am really beginning to think that Stihl has designed a Boat Anchor here.

Like the other fellow said, this may be the first time that I send back a saw that isn't fixed.

Thanks, folks, for letting me know that it is not just me!

Ddogwood

I know this is a old post, has this issue been put to rest? I have a 201tc on my bench a limb got dropped on. I have a coil on order because the plug wire was cut in two. I'd hate too have a once running saw give me issues.

An impact can kill the solenoid or coil/module on any saw, especially one with a computer chip. I would guess you will be fine with just replacing the coil. If it doesn’t run right I would try a reset, if it’s still jacked up, the solenoid may have also been damaged.
You will, of course, need to rule out air leaks and other traditional saw issues as well.
In short, if you replace the coil, then you have replaced the module.

Hope that’s helpful.

Well today I go too remove the flywheel and the nut was just snug. I then find this, not sure if I got the whole story.

Attachments

• 0130211900.jpg
    0130211900.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 23
I am keeping my modudle. Mine is one of the frist 201s been good.. This sounds like a mess. I hope the mod isnt bad on my new 192 it wont rev up sounds like it has a air leak dont feel like putting alot in to it.

Back