Stihl MS250 hard to pull/won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild_Willy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 2 yo Stihl MS250 is really hard to pull. I pulled the Spark Plug and the cord pulls easily with the plug removed, so no bent shaft or starter issues. The muffler looks clean, although I did not have it off. The cord was much easier to pull after replacing the plug, for a while at least. I had it running for a few seconds, but then it seizes up, so it seems to be running hot.

The plug looks like it needs to be replaced and it is idling too fast, as the one time I had it running (briefly) and took the brake off, the chain was spinning at quite a clip while idling.

So I need to change the plug, adjust the idle and check the muffler. But I fear it's not that simple, although it does pull very easily with the plug out.

Thanks

Can't offer much other than to note that my MS250 is also a beast to pull over. Cold start I usually put it on the ground and anchor with ny foot for a few pulls (2, at most 3 on choke) and then kick it up. It does run well once started and re-starts hot well.

ok, I’ve had this saw for about 7 years and did never had had any trouble. i didn’t run it at all last year and same thing happened to me, it’s almost impossible to pull. I took exhaust and carb off, same thing hard as heck to pull. Only taking out the spark plug out lets it spin freely. I took a look at the cylinder, it’s clean as a whistle, no build up. I know I’ll beak the rope and/or handle soon. This is unreal. Someone out there please help me before I throw thing dam thing into the fire and never get Stihl again.
thanks for any help.

Konrad

ok, I’ve had this saw for about 7 years and did never had had any trouble. i didn’t run it at all last year and same thing happened to me, it’s almost impossible to pull. I took exhaust and carb off, same thing hard as heck to pull. Only taking out the spark plug out lets it spin freely. I took a look at the cylinder, it’s clean as a whistle, no build up. I know I’ll beak the rope and/or handle soon. This is unreal. Someone out there please help me before I throw thing dam thing into the fire and never get Stihl again.
thanks for any help.

Konrad
You should post this in "Chainsaw" forum. Better help there. Try the search function as well. I've seen similsr post on this problem.

Latest posts

Back