Stihl MS250 vs. Husqvarna 435 or 445

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopro

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in the market for my first chainsaw, and I want a good Stihl or Husqvarna. This is for my personal firewood needs mainly. I only burn about 3.5 cords per season, so I don't do much cutting. I'm basically looking for something inexpensive and durable that can take an 18" bar.

My price limit is in the low $300s, but I would love to spend way less or get a decent used saw if it comes from a reputable seller.

Any advice?

I wouldn't be looking at those saws if you want to run an 18" B/C. They are really better suited to a 16" B/C. I would get a Stihl ms290 Farm Boss. I got mine for less than $370 out the door brand new. It has a 56cc engine and has a lot more power than the 3 saws you mentioned. For how much wood you cut per year it should last a long time.

I wouldn't be looking at those saws if you want to run an 18" B/C. They are really better suited to a 16" B/C. I would get a Stihl ms290 Farm Boss. I got mine for less than $370 out the door brand new. It has a 56cc engine and has a lot more power than the 3 saws you mentioned. For how much wood you cut per year it should last a long time.

I second this suggestion, can't go wrong with a Stihl.

The MS250 is a great little saw, I had one with an 18 inch bar, and cut a lot of firewood with it, never a problem.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of 250's. i traded mine off for a 260 pro though. I think you can pull a 14 or a 16" w/ a 250 well, but 18 is getting on the upper end, especiallly for a first time saw owner. I've never used a 290 but some of my buddies say they are a little heavy but they do a good job getting the job done. I'd probably steer you towards a 290 so you only need 1 saw and can cut a little bigger tree. Ideally you'd get an 036, 360, 361 or 362 for the "1 saw plan" just get one thats used and in good shape

+3

can`t beat the price of the 290.

Being a Husky guy... I've got to give my .02! LOL

If your going to look at huskies. The 435(I own one, it is a great LIGHT duty saw) or 445 are good home owner saws.

But you would be better off with a 359 or soon to be released 555 saws. Split cased saws that really easy to modify and work on. Check out alamia.us for good deal on saws or baileysonline.com .

A stihl 290 would last you a long time, but they are really not as refined compared to huskies landowner saws. The a/v setup and filtration is not so great on the older stihl landowner saws.

My .02

Mike

Echo cs 400, or cs 530. Look on your craigslist. The echo cs 400 runs a 18" and with a muffler mod runs really well. Also comes with a 5 year warrenty.

Being a Husky guy... I've got to give my .02! LOL

If your going to look at huskies. The 435(I own one, it is a great LIGHT duty saw) or 445 are good home owner saws.

But you would be better off with a 359 or soon to be released 555 saws. Split cased saws that really easy to modify and work on. Check out alamia.us for good deal on saws or baileysonline.com .

A stihl 290 would last you a long time, but they are really not as refined compared to huskies landowner saws. The a/v setup and filtration is not so great on the older stihl landowner saws.

My .02

Mike

What exactly is "Light Duty"? Does it have to do with how long you run the saw on average? I'm not planning on felling any trees. And I don't see myself using the saw for more than an hour at a time. I would probably use it less than once a month...

What exactly is "Light Duty"? Does it have to do with how long you run the saw on average? I'm not planning on felling any trees. And I don't see myself using the saw for more than an hour at a time. I would probably use it less than once a month...

If thats all your gonna use it, i would def. recommend the Echo cs 400 there is one on my craigslist for $220 new in box.

i don't know how much a 290 or 250 is new.. but if your tree's are over 14" or so, get the 290.. if under... get a 250 :) how are you going to split wood?

I have beat the living daylights out of my MS290 and now have an 029 that I will rebuild just because it is such a good all rounder for the price range and reliability.

For a firewood cutter it is a great saw. I would down the road plan on a lighter limbing saw. Two saws for firewood cutting is really a nice balance.

Bigger one MS290 for cutting the tree down and bucking it and a smaller saw for cleaning up the limbs.

I recommended the 290 and I can tell you this... I have a Husqvarna 440 and a Stihl ms290. The 440 and 435 are very similar. The Husqvarna is good saw for small stuff and the fact that it is so light is definitely a plus. I just bought the ms290 and I only use the 440 for the smallest stuff now. If I could only have one of the two I would pick the Stihl. It has A LOT more power than the 440 and the 440 has a 16" bar, the ms290 has an 18". The 440 bogs down on logs that the ms290 easily goes through. If you are only planning on owning 1 saw for firewood you should get something between 50-60cc's. You will be glad you got a saw that's a little bigger down the road, especially if you ever need to do a bigger job. I really like my 440 but in my opinion the fit/finish on the Stihl is superior.

If you don't like the Stihl you could also get a Husqvarna 455 rancher. The engine size is about the same but I believe it has a little bit less horsepower. I personally like the ms290 better than the 455, the 455 feels like I'm holding a cow for some reason. Both saws will get the job done and have a modest price point.

As far as a 359... I looked at them before I got my ms290. I couldn't justify the price for how much it will be used. New they are over $500.

Anyway, I was in a similar boat as you less than a month ago and I picked up an ms290 and don't regret it. Thats just my $.02

025/MS250 are great saws imo (reliable, light, good power to weight and cost effective).

The 025 /ms 250 is big blocky and ugly, handles like a railroad tie, has the power of a 40 cc saw, the 445-450 are way nicer looking, handles alot better and either one will completely destroy a 025 in the wood. Beside that they are a ok saw! LOL

Whatever you do, get yourself to some different dealers (Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, etc.) and get a few models in your hands. That will help you to get an idea of what we're talking about regarding weight, balance, power-to-weight, bulk, etc.

If you do decide on an MS290, check Craigslist, too. Around here, there are some good looking models for ~$250.

As an owner of the 445 I think this would fit you needs.When warm it is a one puller, it sips gas but has more than enough power to pull an 18 bar.Vibration is near zero.For what you want to spend this should fit your needs, Ken

Any of those saws will work for the little bit you need.

Go the the dealers and hold them, pick the one you like best.

Personally I'd go with Husky and a better slightly larger model.

445 over 435 for firewood duty

I have a 435, nimble little 41 cc saw for limbing duty & will cut firewood.
The larger 445 would be a better pick for firewood duty.

Back