Stihl MS250 vs. Husqvarna 435 or 445

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wouldn't get an echo or a dolmar unless there is a dealer in your area thats been there awhile... stihl and huskys are everywhere.. especially stihls.. so if you get something you don't like you can trade it off for somethign else AND get parts and or service if you need it.

I am personally a stihl man so i'm biased and like i said earlier.. 290 if tree's will be 16" or so consistantly.. but if 12 or 14" and under i'd go with the 250. i'd like to see someone out run my 250 or 260pro with a husky of the same cc size. Not saying it won't do it, but i sure cut a hell of a lot of wood in an hour with one out of tops.

it all comes to you man.
I like Stihl as much as Husqvarna; only Husqvarna are slightly better I think.
It was tough to pay 490$ for the 346XP when the MS 290 was 350.
I did it anyway coz it felt better.
you go and feel them. the saw will speak to you. let the saw choose you man and fear no evil.

I would look for a good used ms260 on ebay for around $300. Much better than the homeowner models you are considering.

What exactly is "Light Duty"? Does it have to do with how long you run the saw on average? I'm not planning on felling any trees. And I don't see myself using the saw for more than an hour at a time. I would probably use it less than once a month...

Light Duty is in how the saw was designed to last and how much it costs. The saw manufactures built / designed the saw for low hour usage. Say a rough estimate of 50 hours or less of usage during a years time. So a light duty / home owner grade saw might be okay for some one who trims trees around the a house and cuts say less then 2 cords of firewood.

Each saw manufacturers calls each type saw category by different names. But it breaks down by intended usage and overall cost of the saw.

1. Light duty - Home owner - Hobby saw.
2. Medium duty - Land owner - Prosumer (professional+consumer=”advanced consumer”) .
3. Heavy duty - Pro Grade

Saw manufacturers works along those lines and sometimes blurs the line between those categories.

My .02

Mike

I am just a weekend firewood cutter. I could get away with just using my Husky 455 to cut with. Between me and my father and father-inlaw, we will cut over 14-20 cords of wood. I cut scrub pines (pinon) with a million limbs on them. So a pro grade saw with high quality A/V system is very important to me. Like I said before, a stihl MS-290 is a good saw that will last a very long time with careful ownership. My father used a 029 stihl for over 14 years with no problems. I just gave him last year a Jonsered 2159(which is the same as a husky 359).

He will never again use his stihl 029 for anything other then a backup saw. The ergonomics, a/v system and air filtration setup of a 2159 out classes a stihl 029 / MS-290.

Heck, I let my father use my husky 346xp-ne. I could not get the saw back from him!!! That saw is fantastic piece of machinery!!!

What I am trying to say is that you get what you pay for. And a tool like a chainsaw. It is better in the long run to buy a higher end saw that you cut more efficiently and comfortably with.

My .02

Mike

I am just a weekend firewood cutter. I could get away with just using my Husky 455 to cut with. Between me and my father and father-inlaw, we will cut over 14-20 cords of wood. I cut scrub pines (pinon) with a million limbs on them. So a pro grade saw with high quality A/V system is very important to me. Like I said before, a stihl MS-290 is a good saw that will last a very long time with careful ownership. My father used a 029 stihl for over 14 years with no problems. I just gave him last year a Jonsered 2159(which is the same as a husky 359).

He will never again use his stihl 029 for anything other then a backup saw. The ergonomics, a/v system and air filtration setup of a 2159 out classes a stihl 029 / MS-290.

Heck, I let my father use my husky 346xp-ne. I could not get the saw back from him!!! That saw is fantastic piece of machinery!!!

What I am trying to say is that you get what you pay for. And a tool like a chainsaw. It is better in the long run to buy a higher end saw that you cut more efficiently and comfortably with.

My .02

Mike

true, you get what you pay for. but 290 is a bit more, provided that you are young and the weight is no problem.

and I`m a Husky guy.

true, you get what you pay for. but 290 is a bit more, provided that you are young and the weight is no problem.

and I`m a Husky guy.

Point taken! LOL

I view the world through "orange" tinted glasses! LOL

I am spoiled with modern husky saws ergonomics, a/v, and filtration system that stihl has "borrowed" for their new line of saws. ;-)

Mike

So...based on what I'm hearing:

My search is now refined to the Husq 445 or 455 vs. MS290?

I'm leaning toward the Husq 445 because of price.

Nothing wrong with the little Stihl. Neighbor has an 025 he's used to clear land and cut wood for two households for years. Had one for the wife and I really liked it.

I am certainly an odd man out, but really look into the Dolmar 510. Just a shy over $300 and get a great product.

The Husky 450 (50cc) is a big bore 445. Since it has the same ports, carb, muffler, etc. as the 445, the peak horsepower isn't that much higher than the 445. However, it does have more torque down lower in the RPMs - and it weighs the same as the 445.

I've seen them advertised on Ebay fairly cheaply. It's likely there would be no warranty, but if you are already looking at used saws, then that probably doesn't bother you.

either way you go, I think you`ll be happy;
if not, there is a law that sais that one can always buy another saw.
:)
however appreciate the saw for what it is: a homeowner or a landowner saw.
if you want light, fast, strong, you go for a pro

if you buy the cheapest Stihl/Husky and expect the world from it, you`ll be unhapy (I have an uncle who does that)

I am certainly an odd man out, but really look into the Dolmar 510. Just a shy over $300 and get a great product.

Naaa, your not...

Baileysonline has the Makita DCS-510 for $359.95. It is pretty close to a stihl ms-260 in HP and weight. Dolmar / Makita support can sometimes be lacking.

My .02

Mike

Before I decided on the husky 435 last month, I looked at Stihl first. The 250 and up felt like they were built well. The 211 and below seemed to have lighter weight handles than the 250. For what I got my 435 for, the stihls were a bit more money. I have a great stihl dealer that I got my 361 and my dads 362 from, so I'm not biased towards either brand. The husky 435 and up felt a lot better than the 235 model. The saws you are looking at are all capable of suiting your needs, it will come down to price. I ordered my 435 from baileys and got a good price on it. I would physically check out the saws you are looking at to see what feels right to you.

I ordered my 435 from baileys and got a good price on it. I would physically check out the saws you are looking at to see what feels right to you.

I would buy a new homeowner/landowner saw from a Dealer, and not from internet or Box Store. Difference in price is not significant and Dealer will provide warranty service if needed. Just try getting a Dealer to service your Box Store or Internet bought saw.

Stihl Dealers here are offering double warranty (2 yr) for non commercial use and purchasing a 6-pack of ultra oil mix.

I would buy a new homeowner/landowner saw from a Dealer, and not from internet or Box Store. Difference in price is not significant and Dealer will provide warranty service if needed. Just try getting a Dealer to service your Box Store or Internet bought saw.

Stihl Dealers here are offering double warranty (2 yr) for non commercial use and purchasing a 6-pack of ultra oil mix.
I agree with buying from a dealer for service, but the difference in price was about $60 cheaper from baileys than from my local dealer. Granted, it's not the dealers fault he has to charge sales tax. With Baileys being a site sponsor and seeing the good things said about them on this site, I had no problem giving them my business.

The Husqvarna 445 is becoming the leader...The Stihl 290 sounds great, but it's a bit out of my price range. I still have to go see the Husky, but I'm leaning that way. Thanks for all the expert opinions.

I bought a 435 as my first saw, and I was pretty dissappointed with it as a primary saw so I got a ms280 too. The 435 is nice, but it's a really small, light, and slow saw, I wouldn't recommend it for a primary unless you have more patience than me.

Back