Stihl MS250 vs. Husqvarna 435 or 445

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 435 as my first saw, and I was pretty dissappointed with it as a primary saw so I got a ms280 too. The 435 is nice, but it's a really small, light, and slow saw, I wouldn't recommend it for a primary unless you have more patience than me.

:agree2:

I bought a 435 as my first saw, and I was pretty dissappointed with it as a primary saw so I got a ms280 too. The 435 is nice, but it's a really small, light, and slow saw, I wouldn't recommend it for a primary unless you have more patience than me.

Any thoughts about the 445? Right now, I'm guessing the 445 or the Stihl MS250. They are both in the same range...and I know there are better saws for less than $100 extra, but $300 is my price limit.

recon/refurbished 445's

There are still some on Flea-bay for ~ $200 delivered.
You can take a chance & save $100, think others members have
bought one and it worked out OK.

I'm a former ms250 owner, a good reliable saw. When it became less than reliable due to a bad fuel line I purchased a used Husky 345 (45cc) on craigslist for $150. That Stihl couldn't even begin to cut as fast as the Husky----I tend to give some credit to the NK chain though. A couple weeks ago I got a Husky 350 in excellent shape for $120 on craigslist. If you're not in a hurry shop for a good used saw, they're out there.

Any thoughts about the 445? Right now, I'm guessing the 445 or the Stihl MS250. They are both in the same range...and I know there are better saws for less than $100 extra, but $300 is my price limit.

It'd be adequate, but like you, when I bought my first chainsaw, I was thinking 300ish, but ended up having to correct that initial mistake by spending an additional $500 on my 280. Now that it's all said and done I use and need the $800 worth of the two saws that I own, but if I were to do it all over again, i'd probably just have a single saw like the 346xp, ms261, 271, 280 or 290.

That 445 will be on the lower end of productivity, but if price is a strict limit, it's a better choice than the 435. Not sure about the 250 though, as I've not used one or given it much thought.

I was the same;
hunting a saw, a new one, for the smallest amount of money.
I was thinking 300-350
In the process you`ll think that for an extra buck you`ll get a much better saw; then think about the fact that you`ll use and enjoy your new saw for 10 years, therefore those extra bucks divided by 10 mean nothing, but the smile on your face for 10 years will be priceless.
in the end I went for the 346 XP that costed me 630 shipping to Romania included.
do I regret it ?
Hell no !

It'd be adequate, but like you, when I bought my first chainsaw, I was thinking 300ish, but ended up having to correct that initial mistake by spending an additional $500 on my 280. Now that it's all said and done I use and need the $800 worth of the two saws that I own, but if I were to do it all over again, i'd probably just have a single saw like the 346xp, ms261, 271, 280 or 290.

That 445 will be on the lower end of productivity, but if price is a strict limit, it's a better choice than the 435. Not sure about the 250 though, as I've not used one or given it much thought.

I will not comment on the MS250 except that it was a model in dire need of a replacement, and now the 251 is out (but not on all markets).

As expected, it is a bit heavier, but still a light saw. The MS291 also is out, and actually is lighter than the 290, as long as you avoid the optional add-ons.

Buying a 250 or 290 at this point doesn't make much sence, unless the price is dumped by a substantial margin.

By the sounds of things you won't use it too often. Just buy one of those shiny hand saws lol and a couple coffees. You'll be fine lol

That's what I've been doing up until now. Only thing is...I quit drinking coffee recently. :biggrinbounce2:

I'm also not too eager to buy used online, although a 455 for about $200 sounds very tempting!!!

I've been looking online, and it seems like I can find a Husky455 for close to my price range...new! It seems like I need to focus in that area. Would love to buy from a local dealer and get the warranty from them, but to get a superior saw is first objective.

Is that a good saw for a first timer? I have about an hour of chainsaw experience, so I'll be starting from ground zero.

435? Really? The MS250 we have at the ranch here with a muffler mod will cut all day long with an 18" full comp bar buried in pine, and cuts 12" rounds of oak and maple without complaining if you don't go getting carried away leaning on it like a 460. Not too bad for a disposable, if you ask me. I used it for 4 hours yesterday limbing, bucking, and thinning a few a maples and brush I felled by the creek and have no complaints. I had a 372 to reach for when the wood got large, but the 250 did just as much work. I have been earnestly trying to kill this 250 and it just won't die. Even running it a tad lean because I can't be bothered to trim the tabs. I have had my eye on a 346xp for a while now.

Last edited:
my opinion is that their both good saws so i would go with a servicing dealer just in case you have trouble because if you do what i did it can be a pain (bought a husky 450 from a local hardware store broke the motor mount on the 2nd or 3rd tank of fuel ) i took me three months to get it straighten out but i realy love this saw now what happened was a fluke (well not realy was just used to stihl chains that don't strech so much the husky chain streched came off saw and broke the motor mount ) so i could not imagine warranty issues one might have with a saw purchased from ebay just my0.02

That's what I've been doing up until now. Only thing is...I quit drinking coffee recently. :biggrinbounce2:

I'm also not too eager to buy used online, although a 455 for about $200 sounds very tempting!!!

A 455 Rancher would be just fine for what you need to do. Just make sure to clean off the area around the oil tank with a paint brush before adding oil to to the oil tank. The oiler can not handle to much gunk before it quites on you. Other then that, plus setting the carb right and general maintenance. The saw is pretty trouble free and great for general firewood duty!

My .02

Mike

my opinion is that their both good saws so i would go with a servicing dealer just in case you have trouble because if you do what i did it can be a pain (bought a husky 450 from a local hardware store broke the motor mount on the 2nd or 3rd tank of fuel ) i took me three months to get it straighten out but i realy love this saw now what happened was a fluke (well not realy was just used to stihl chains that don't strech so much the husky chain streched came off saw and broke the motor mount ) so i could not imagine warranty issues one might have with a saw purchased from ebay just my0.02

All new chain needs to be readjusted pretty often, including Stihl - blaming your mistake on the chain brand is not fair! :msp_wink:

And what about the Husky 350? I guess it's an older saw because I only see them used online. I think it's in the 50cc range and the prices seem pretty good used.

Anybody have experience with this saw? It seems like it could be a better option than the Husky 445...

And what about the Husky 350? I guess it's an older saw because I only see them used online. I think it's in the 50cc range and the prices seem pretty good used.

Anybody have experience with this saw? It seems like it could be a better option than the Husky 445...

It would be better than all the listed ones, no doubt about that! :msp_thumbsup:

I definitely like the specs and the prices for the used Husky 350s that I see out there. The hunt is on!

I am also in the market for a new saw , I have looked at he MS250 and husky 445 Today I'm leaning to the STIHL just for the hp seems to have more hp per c.i. and price seems to be compairable.

Well, I finally did it...

It took me long enough, but I finally bought a new Husqvarna 450 from my local small engine shop.:D

I really wanted the Husqvarna 350, but couldn't muster enough trust to get one on ebay. I actually bought a 350 on ebay, but had to send it back to the seller because it wasn't running properly. That pretty much convinced me to buy a new saw.

Any pointers on things I need to do to a new saw to break it in??

Latest posts

Back