Stihl MS251 kicking back on start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefy_jefy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Stihl MS251 which I rebuilt last year after a seize up, new piston/cylinder/ignition coil. It runs great but can be difficult to start due to kicking back, almost pulling the saw out of my hands. My guess would be that the ignition timing is too far advanced but there's no adjustment other than the air gap. I am going to check the air gap again but I am fairly sure its OK.
Any thoughts?
Geoff

Hi all,
I have a Stihl MS251 which I rebuilt last year after a seize up, new piston/cylinder/ignition coil. It runs great but can be difficult to start due to kicking back, almost pulling the saw out of my hands. My guess would be that the ignition timing is too far advanced but there's no adjustment other than the air gap. I am going to check the air gap again but I am fairly sure its OK.
Any thoughts?
Geoff
Ran across your post in this thread and I've also ran into the same problem after rebuilding my 251 as well and I was wondering what ended up being the issue with your saw?

Back