Stihl MS251

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no no comparison between a Stihl 251 and a Stihl 261. One is a consumer/residential saw and the other is professional grade. All you need is another $300 to get the 261. Piece of cake, right?

Wrong. $300 for the 251. $500 for the 261. From my Dealer with bar and chain. Try and stay on the OP's MS251 topic instead of bringing up a larger saw for comparison. That would be like my Dolmar 6100 running against your 520i lol. You know how that would end :)

Wrong. $300 for the 251. $500 for the 261. From my Dealer with bar and chain. Try and stay on the OP's MS251 topic instead of bringing up a larger saw for comparison. That would be like my Dolmar 6100 running against your 520i lol. You know how that would end :)
You cannot buy a Stihl MS 261 M-Tronic from a dealer around here for less that $600. With sales tax, you will fork over $630 bare bones. Glad to see that things are a lot cheaper in Ohio. Next time I drive through the Buckeye State, I may buy one.

Meanwhile, yes, this local dealer ripped off a late owner of an MS 251 C who spent $400 on a machine that was never sold running right nor fixed right. I have both receipts that were given to me by his widow, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Not that it's relevant but I get 261s for 469 plus tax :)

It only takes once for you to replace the saw with something else. I can make it happen all the time. The dealer shook his head, kept the hundred bucks, and told the last owner, "It's your problem."
That dealer wouldn't have his 2 front teeth left if he tried that arrogance & disregard with me. Prick!

For what it is worth I own a Echo CS 490 and it wears a 16BC 325 with a RS chain 050. Yes another 50cc saw. Of the three Husky 51, Stihl 025, or Echo CS 490 I would go with the Echo. Why? Magnesium case to start with, next is an adjustable oiler and last not a clamshell.

For what it is worth I own a Echo CS 490 and it wears a 16BC 325 with a RS chain 050. Yes another 50cc saw. Of the three Husky 51, Stihl 025, or Echo CS 490 I would go with the Echo. Why? Magnesium case to start with, next is an adjustable oiler and last not a clamshell.
Agree especially with the last 2 points. My saw preference is older Husky & Jonsered's but the no adjustment for oilers is a bugger. Some oil too well & others, very lite on. I respect the larger Stihl's. Smaller Stilh's are hard little revvers but things like the Nylon Worm gears & yes, the Clamshell casings eiierrkkk! The worst thing I see with the 35cc & 40cc Stihls is the weight. Ridiculous imo! My Jonsered 2050's are much lighter & more comfortable to use when cutting more than an hours work. I love the 50cc saws btw :clap:

Latest posts

Back