Stihl MS260 Pro Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejdman04

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a MS260 pro chainsaw. When the saw is about 1/2 a tank or less of fuel it will not stay running. I know the obvious answer, never let the tank get under 1/2 full but I would like to figure out what the problem with the saw is. When the saw is under 1/2 a tank it just dies out. It does seem to try to restart but it just sputters. The first thing I checked is the tank vent, that is fine, opening the fuel cap to let more air in doesn't help. I thought it could be sucking air, so I put on a brand new Stihl fuel filter and fuel line, same problem. I rebuilt the carb just for the heck of it, cleaned it all out, made sure the gasket between the carb and the cylinder was good (so it wouldn't be sucking air there). I am obviously overlooking something but what? When the saw is full of gas or near full the saw runs great, starts fine but under 1/2 a tank is when I have a problem.

make sure on the fuel line that the arrow is indexed in the plastic right some times if they arent right the fuel filter doesnt get to the bottom of the tank to pickup the fuel

I did make sure that the fuel filter and fuel line wasn't hung up on anything and is free to go to th e bottom of the tank. I kind of suspected that the fuel line had a tiny hole in it, that is why I put a new fuel line on it, and it is still acting the same.:bang:

Back