Stihl MS261 C-M build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichMich

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Folks.
Am looking to build an MS261 C-M around a crankcase assy I found on ebay.
Question is, how difficult to build is the 261 C-M compared to a MS461, especially with the M-Tronic system? Can I use any M-Tronic version in this build?
Most parts will be pre-owned ones but top cover, tank, carb and electronics.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks!

Hi Folks.
Am looking to build an MS261 C-M around a crankcase assy I found on ebay.
Question is, how difficult to build is the 261 C-M compared to a MS461, especially with the M-Tronic system? Can I use any M-Tronic version in this build?
Most parts will be pre-owned ones but top cover, tank, carb and electronics.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks!
Its very easy. Just get some Stihl Press Fluod and Press tool for snapping the wires back in their slots/grommets. Just like the 362, there are two styles of cylinders, but unlike the 362, the versions can interchange.

Here I was what my 261 looked like.
20181102_175518-907x1209.jpg

Then here it is making it's first cuts against my 241.

Here is a 261 V2 cylinder left and a 261 V1 cylinder right 20181102_200528-1209x907.jpg

It’s a simple model, but the electronics are another story. The electronics are in the coil and you need the proper flywheel. Should have 2 sets of magnets and not the standard one set regular saws have. Any electric carb should work, but you’ll need the new upgraded universal white carb solenoid with the orange fuel filter To be certain. They apparently come in a kit together for less cost than the solenoid alone. The older black solenoid may or may not work with whatever coil you have, but I guess you can try it out first and see.

I do have a full non-MT setup for that saw if you’re interested. Shipping to the EU may be prohibitively costly.

Latest posts

Back