Stihl MS261-C won't idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrypac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I Found a Stihl MS261-C for under $50. Owner got it with the house he bought and it was not running. A quick search told me that if I could not get it running, at least i could make some money selling it as is. A friend helped me look it over and he got it started, but he said the cylinder was scored. It runs and cuts but will not idle. He mentioned that the solenoid is a common problem with this saw. Two questions: Could the scored cylinder cause it not to idle? Is the solenoid strictly a dealer part? I could not find anything with Google, Ebay or Amazon. Thanks for any help. LP

I Found a Stihl MS261-C for under $50. Owner got it with the house he bought and it was not running. A quick search told me that if I could not get it running, at least i could make some money selling it as is. A friend helped me look it over and he got it started, but he said the cylinder was scored. It runs and cuts but will not idle. He mentioned that the solenoid is a common problem with this saw. Two questions: Could the scored cylinder cause it not to idle? Is the solenoid strictly a dealer part? I could not find anything with Google, Ebay or Amazon. Thanks for any help. LP
Yes ,pull the muffler and look at the piston.

The question is, if the piston and/or cylinder are scored, would that cause it to not idle. It accelerates smoothly and seems to have enough power.

Back