Stihl ms261 piston question (burned)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is cheap, granted I am in Europe, so everyting is way more expensive here!

I ordered a kit as well, along with some some coil wire - still waiting for it to arrive.

Wish I could rename this thread to something more fitting, so people could search it up. (Like Stihl Mtronic issues or the likes)

There is a good thread at
O
P
E
Cant post a link

261 362 462 661 mtronic info​

Interesting that this thread, touches on that the "new white solonoid" does not match/fit to old style MS261C-M models?
Mine is a 2014, old style model. Wonder if I should just slap on that "orange" filter and run it with the "black solonoid". (Granted this saw WILL run....getting a little ahead of myself here :buttkick:)

Why the heck is this stuff not clear to users....

What the hell.....

Interesting that this thread, touches on that the "new white solonoid" does not match/fit to old style MS261C-M models?
Mine is a 2014, old style model. Wonder if I should just slap on that "orange" filter and run it with the "black solonoid". (Granted this saw WILL run....getting a little ahead of myself here :buttkick:)

Why the heck is this stuff not clear to users....
The white one works. Been going through this for a couple years. Stihl doesn’t recommend it, but it works and it lasts

update - small one.

got the parts, put it together - and back to no spark!

Went and did some wood splitting, injured myself. :rare2:

I am starting to think the gab from coil/flywheel is the issue, and these things are ultra sensitive, or my flywheel or coil is damaged. I did see some spark, before ordering parts.
(I have, as many, always used a standard business card for gab, but I only got spark when I went ahead with a "feeler gauge" set it to 0,10mm. very little gab.

Will report back in asap.

Attachments

• DSC_1148.JPG
    DSC_1148.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
update - small one.

got the parts, put it together - and back to no spark!

Went and did some wood splitting, injured myself. :rare2:

I am starting to think the gab from coil/flywheel is the issue, and these things are ultra sensitive, or my flywheel or coil is damaged. I did see some spark, before ordering parts.
(I have, as many, always used a standard business card for gab, but I only got spark when I went ahead with a "feeler gauge" set it to 0,10mm. very little gab.

Will report back in asap.
New Stihl's are very touchy about flywheel gaps. My 461 had the coil get wiped out when the crank bearings failed, after rebuilding it I put a new coil in, gapped it with a business card, and didn't have any spark. The Stihl service tool is .008 thick so I gapped the flywheel with feeler gauges to get that measurement and viola! I had spark and the saw fired on the second pull with the choke on after sitting for months.

New Stihl's are very touchy about flywheel gaps. My 461 had the coil get wiped out when the crank bearings failed, after rebuilding it I put a new coil in, gapped it with a business card, and didn't have any spark. The Stihl service tool is .008 thick so I gapped the flywheel with feeler gauges to get that measurement and viola! I had spark and the saw fired on the second pull with the choke on after sitting for months.
This is very solid advice!
Thanks alot. :blob2:

I do belive that these Mtronics are extremely touchy on the gab. And you confirm it right here.

I have reset my gab slightly now, and hoping to see spark tommorow, when I can test it.

Update

I can get spark, sometimes, then put the spark plug into cylinder, and ..... nothing happens.
Take the spark plug out, and no spark, even though I just tested it to show spark.

Out of ideas....tried 4 different spark plugs. Nothing.

:dumb:

Update

I can get spark, sometimes, then put the spark plug into cylinder, and ..... nothing happens.
Take the spark plug out, and no spark, even though I just tested it to show spark.

It really does sound like its something in the ignition module now. That's what I ended up replacing in that 261 that I had, mine just puked fuel out the exhaust and would SOMETIMES start on choke but would die instantly when the trigger was touched. biggest difference is I had spark on mine the whole time I believe.

It really does sound like its something in the ignition module now. That's what I ended up replacing in that 261 that I had, mine just puked fuel out the exhaust and would SOMETIMES start on choke but would die instantly when the trigger was touched. biggest difference is I had spark on mine the whole time I believe.
Yeah, I am not seeing any other option here. Less the flywheel is somehow defective, or the wire to carb/solonoid somehow tests out ok, but isn't.

Update

What model (part number) spark plugs are you trying? What is the part number specified by Stihl?

What model (part number) spark plugs are you trying? What is the part number specified by Stihl?

Actually just noticed on my online dealers site, that they sell "special" Stihl spark plugs for Mtronic model. (see picture)

Anyhow, I am using NGK BPMR7A, and retried with a few Champion of same type.

Attachments

• 11104007005.jpg
    11104007005.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 7
Actually just noticed on my online dealers site, that they sell "special" Stihl spark plugs for Mtronic model. (see picture)

Anyhow, I am using NGK BPMR7A, and retried with a few Champion of same type.
That is interesting. This is the first that I have heard of "special" plugs for M-tronic saws. Looks like it has a smaller center electrode. Just make sure that you use a resistor "R" plug.

That is interesting. This is the first that I have heard of "special" plugs for M-tronic saws. Looks like it has a smaller center electrode. Just make sure that you use a resistor "R" plug.
Yes, tested the plugs, on working saw as well as with multumeter, just to make sure.
That is how desperate I have become now, double and triple checking everything.

Yeah I did not notice those Stihl plugs untill I was scrolling along the site for some other parts.
Ill get one next time I order something, why not eh.

This saw might need a coil and perhaps the control unit/wires as well.
If I decide to spend the cash, I will get every part replaced.
Flywheel is too expensive though, I can't and won't belive those small scratches to it makes it defective.

I have yet to quit on a saw, but this thing comes as close as ever.
Could just sell it as is, and walk away with only my time wasted.

But....making it work again would be way more fun.
Just can't decide if "hoping" for the coil replacement to work, is worth my money.

Back