Stihl MS261, Playing Around Chain's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
MM'ed 261 last night now have run 3 tanks, with oiler set a max
the oil tanks is almost empty after a tank of gas. She keeps making
more power :) I had to adjust idle a few times today as it would
get faster. Think it's because she is still breaking in.

All 3 chains are new out of box, all are Stihl semi-chisel chains.
Used 7T rim for all 3, cutting Green Post Oak that was fell today.
.050 Picco Chain was way the fastest by far over both .325 and .375
Saw was set at 14,000 rpm with the 18" .325 BC. I didn't adjust carb
when I changed BC, maybe I should have. But the 20" .375
was running 13,700 rpm and the Picco 14,200 rpm

I have been using .050 Picco on 026/260 for a few years now.
Mostly 16" BC with 8T sprocket IMO it is great for limbing.
I have my fire pants on so flame away for using the Picco :)

In Picco vid wood may look smaller, it's not, I had moved camera and forgot to zoom back in.
The Picco was last to cut as I wanted to keep it on the saw

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EjdtAWRGIQo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EjdtAWRGIQo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tASpymVRkJo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tASpymVRkJo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YuhsEJurtkk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YuhsEJurtkk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

TT

Last edited:
Hey TT, Show us a picture of your muffler modification and explain how you did it, hole size, etc. What are your impressions of the performance after the modification. I am going to wait until my 261 is completely broken in before I do it to mine as to get a clearer feel for how much it helps. I have ran a couple of tanks through mine on little stuff and I can tell it is much stronger than my 260. If it is like my 441 it will tank several tanks to reach full potential.

Steve

TT, thanks for the vids. I found out for my 261 the .325 is faster than the
.375 also.

The saw has 13 tanks through it now, about as hard of running as I could find to see just how good these are. Not a problem. Same as you TT, turned back the idle a couple of times and am 1/2 turn CCW past the H limiter stop to hold the rpms down to 13,800. I am at 12' above Sea Level. Piston looks as new and the compression is at 172 psi on my gauge. Mileage is better than the 026 series I used to own.

If I was to guess, and my saw is still stock, it is about 10% faster and feels about the that much more in power. The filter I've barely tapped clean ONCE! Amazing. The larger saws in the same wood have been cleaned twice in the same amount of time. Oak, Maple, and Yellow Pine

I had to take care of the cows and we now have company.
So AS will be off limits for me tonight........but thats ok.

TT

Hey guys. Here's my 261 muffler mod. It's a husky deflector (PN 501799101) which does a nice job of sending the exhaust forward and away from the operator. I wasn't too scientific about port size but I definitely opened it up a lot (under the screen). Like others have said, this saw is unbelievably strong and really fun to use. My 361s have been gathering dust since this saw arrived.....

DSCN0111.jpg

somebody time these for me, I'm too lazy to do it

Avg I came up with

.325 chain 8.65 sec.

.375 chain 8.03 sec

picco chain 5.56 sec

5.56 sec + 44% = 8.00 sec

44% is substantial faster but the picco kerf is substantial narrower
than the reg 3/8 chain. It may even be about 44% narrower, for you that don't
know many use the .050 picco on 066's for milling. I have used it my self
for milling, it does take less power to pull. But on the flip side the picco
chain may be 44% less durable than reg 3/8 chain for fire wood cutting.

Trigger,

How exactly are you running picco? I'm sure it's not as easy as I would hope to get the proper rim and mount my 021's 16 inch bar and chain, huh? I have an 021 with a 16" bar and LOTS of 55 link .50 picco chains, maybe 25 or so??? Haven't counted lately. I have a MS 260 PRO, that would be nice to use some of those chains up. I'm guessing the bar won't mount and you're using a regular 3/8, .50 bar, (which I do have), but the drive link count is probably more because it's a larger bar I beleive. Anywho, curious.

Last edited:
Trigger,

How exactly are you running picco? I'm sure it's not as easy as I would hope to get the proper rim and mount my 021's 16 inch bar and chain, huh? I have an 021 with a 16" bar and LOTS of 55 link .50 picco chains, maybe 25 or so??? Haven't counted lately. I have a MS 260 PRO, that would be nice to use some of those chains up. I'm guessing the bar won't mount and you're using a regular 3/8, .50 bar, (which I do have), but the drive link count is probably more because it's a larger bar I beleive. Anywho, curious.

TT, am sure can tell you more, but you can buy a 16 inch .050 picco
bar from Stihl. It fits 026 up to 066. BUT you can only get a picco
rim in the 026 size. For the 064 and 066 you can buy a spur sprocket.
from Logosol
Thats not the whole story, the older 034 and 036's that haven't
been changed over to the bigger rim and clutch bearing can use the picco rim.

Now the bad news, your 55 DL 021 chains will not work.
The 3003 16" picco bar takes 60 DL so you would have
to add 5 DL to your chains. I would have to go look for the Stihl number
of the bar and I am in for the night. TT may have the number.
Not sure where he got a 20 inch 3003 picco bar but can tell
by the markings it is a older bar.

Hey I cant seem to find any Picco chain that isnt low kickback...at least in the catalog that I have here. Are you getting it somewhere else?

The problem I have with the low profile is the cost versus life issue.The carlton/woodland pro does have more cutter than the 91vx but the oregon cuts faster IMO.I think the vxl is just a carlton cutter on a oregon low profile chain.Either way the cost per D/L is about the same as the.375 and will last maybe 1/2 as long as either .325 or .375

Picture of MM and the Picco chain, the Picco chain I buy doesn't
have any of the anti kick back humps. For the 3003 mount 16 and 20 inch
bars, dealer has to make them up. As far as cost goes it is same
price if not cheaper than Woodland Pro 30LP with out the shipping charge.
30LP is listed at 22 cents DL, do the math on a loop and it is a little higher
than 22 cents per DL. My dealer has very good price on Stihl chain
as he buys tons of it at a time to get price break. Stihl 24 inch 3/8 .063
RS or RM chain is $19.50, comes out to just over 23 cents DL before tax.

attachment.php

TT

Lookin good man!

I really like the .325RM, but never heard of Picco?

How's the 261 compare to your 361?

I'm not trying to be funny here, but it's still a 50cc and 361 is 60cc
But think in stock saws 261 will get as close to 361 as any 50cc saw
out there.

TT

Hey TT, Show us a picture of your muffler modification and explain how you did it, hole size, etc. What are your impressions of the performance after the modification. I am going to wait until my 261 is completely broken in before I do it to mine as to get a clearer feel for how much it helps. I have ran a couple of tanks through mine on little stuff and I can tell it is much stronger than my 260. If it is like my 441 it will tank several tanks to reach full potential.

Steve

IMO, you are correct, to tell how much a MM helps saw needs to be
broken in 100%. Then get a log make some timed cuts then do a MM
and re-time. I would be lying if I tried to tell you how much I gained
if any with MM. I have had to fiddle with L screw on carb more
than any saw I have MM to get the lag out of it. But I was playing
with 3 diff chains all of diff weight and saw seemed to be gaining
power the whole time. Once it gets broken in I think it will be ok.

TT

Back