Stihl MS270 and decompression valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does the standard Stihl MS270 have the decompression valve?

Last edited:
No.

Only the C-B model has it.

Edit: The 280 is available with it, but the 270 is not.
It isn't even needed with the 280 either....

Last edited:
No.

Only the C-B model has it.

Edit: The 280 is available with it, but the 270 is not.
It isn't even needed with the 280 either....

Sorry, have to disagree as its not true, have a MS270 myself, has a (relatively unused) decomp valve, their site also lists it as a standard feature on them. The C models main differrence is the quick chain adjustment, personally I steer clear of that as its nice to tighten your own nuts, I haven't heard of any problems with them though. The BE model seems to be merely a newer variation but I haven't looked into the actual differences, could be they're just adding the decomp as an option, dunno.
>
http://www.stihl.ca/products_chainSaws_270-280.asp

:cheers:

serge

Sorry, have to disagree as its not true, have a MS270 myself, has a (relatively unused) decomp valve, their site also lists it as a standard feature on them. The C models main differrence is the quick chain adjustment, personally I steer clear of that as its nice to tighten your own nuts, I haven't heard of any problems with them though. The BE model seems to be merely a newer variation but I haven't looked into the actual differences, could be they're just adding the decomp as an option, dunno.
>
http://www.stihl.ca/products_chainSaws_270-280.asp

:cheers:

serge

Hmmm....wonder if it's a regional thing? The local dealer stocks both the 270 and 280. Never seen a 270 with one. Only the 280. My 280 is without as it's the basic model.

:clap: :cheers: :cheers:

Why have one?

On an engine this size they make no sense. My 026 has one, so does my 361, but I don't use it on either saw - its utterly unnecessary. Let me tell you, I have a 225 hp V-6 2-stroke outboard on my boat. It has an emergency rope-pull start on it that you can use if the battery fails. That big old engine doesn't have a compression release either but one time my skinny old butt started it by pulling a rope just to see if I could. I could and it did.

So its hard to see why these little teeny engines have the thing and I certainly wouldn't consider it when making a purchase decision other than to note its one more thing that might break.

I have the 270c and it has no decomp valve. Never needed it. Since I got my 361 the 270 doesn't get much work, but when I need it-it is an easy starting saw.

My 260 has one but its never been used. I do use the one on the 660 though.

working on a ms270 right now form circa 2004 and it does not have a decompression valve but all jugs that i looked at purchasing do have them. not sure if older models didn't have them or if it was just an option.

I would just take it out and put in a plug if you don't use it. If it goes bad, you can get an air leak and score the P&C.

I purchased this saw from a guy month or so ago and it's like brand new..I repaired carb and gas line only.It has a smaller bar thats never been used.Its original ro the max..not restored..Has a# 13 ink stamp on bottom from the factory.Ive started twice to make sure it ran..I repair small engines..Ran for like 30 sec each. Its a 1979 poulan pro 2000..type b I think.Whats this worth?I've never seen one and especially in this mint condition.Any suggestions would be on Price or info is appreciated Thanks
ccc9b5ae4bf265b89c1dc779d32836d9.jpg
dce08cea1984277667983b0a2c4f132a.jpg

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I purchased this saw from a guy month or so ago and it's like brand new..I repaired carb and gas line only.It has a smaller bar thats never been used.Its original ro the max..not restored..Has a# 13 ink stamp on bottom from the factory.Ive started twice to make sure it ran..I repair small engines..Ran for like 30 sec each. Its a 1979 poulan pro 2000..type b I think.Whats this worth?I've never seen one and especially in this mint condition.Any suggestions would be on Price or info is appreciated Thanks
ccc9b5ae4bf265b89c1dc779d32836d9.jpg
dce08cea1984277667983b0a2c4f132a.jpg

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
I can't comment about a value this particular saw, but I bought a comparable saw, a Homelite XL in similar condition a few years ago for $30.

I see thoes in my area for $50-120 depending on condition, yours seems clean and with case!

Sent from Tapatalk

Back