Stihl MS271 Cylinder and Piston Kit, looking for source

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no AM option for the 271. IMHO, I would just sell off the carcass for whatever you can get and go buy the 261 you want. Spending $200 (+bearings, seals, maybe) seems dumb as you would still have a 271 when you were done.

My buddy bought a brand new Stihl MS271 and someone put regular gas in it. He ruined the piston and cylinder. The local repair shop said "not worth fixing", but if I fix it myself, I'm pretty sure I can have it free. It probably has three hours on it.

I can find the piston kit with no problems, but after 30 minutes of searching for a cylinder kit, I can only find one on eBay for $200. I'm hoping you folks who shop this stuff more often can find me another source and maybe even a better price. On one site, it seemed they had EVERY cylinder, except the MS271.

Also, are there any other parts I'll need to check to make sure they don't need replacement as well.

I'm not much of a wrench turner, but willing to try. Thanks for any advice.

My buddy bought a brand new Stihl MS271 and someone put regular gas in it. He ruined the piston and cylinder. The local repair shop said "not worth fixing", but if I fix it myself, I'm pretty sure I can have it free. It probably has three hours on it.

I can find the piston kit with no problems, but after 30 minutes of searching for a cylinder kit, I can only find one on eBay for $200. I'm hoping you folks who shop this stuff more often can find me another source and maybe even a better price. On one site, it seemed they had EVERY cylinder, except the MS271.

Also, are there any other parts I'll need to check to make sure they don't need replacement as well.

I'm not much of a wrench turner, but willing to try. Thanks for any advice.

Thanks trouts, looks like the cylinder has a different exhaust port on it or It may have worked.

Torn between parting out this saw and buying new or spending the $200 bucks for a cylidner and piston.

Latest posts

Back