stihl ms290 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmv

Reaction score
new to the site as of yesterday. i need to rebuild my 290, and wanted to ask if anybody had instructions for reassembling and also if i should find used oem parts or buy new aftermarket parts and if so what brand or from who. i need a cylinder and piston and whatever other parts i should replace. i appreciate any help. thanks.

new to the site as of yesterday. i need to rebuild my 290, and wanted to ask if anybody had instructions for reassembling and also if i should find used oem parts or buy new aftermarket parts and if so what brand or from who. i need a cylinder and piston and whatever other parts i should replace. i appreciate any help. thanks.
You are in luck my friend i think they are very similar.

I wouldn't buy the complete engine. I would buy the piston/cylinder kit plus new crank seals. If you go aftermarket it will be around $30. I prefer to use the Stihl crankshaft and rod assembly over the aftermarket one, no real reason but I know the OEM assembly works well. Also check the crankshaft bearings while you have it apart.

Just bought complete FarmerTec kit. Could someone provide me Service Manual for MS290?

Thx!

Back