Stihl ms291 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryok

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a ms 291 that’s bogging down and sputtering when I’m running it full throttle. When I back off it seems to stop sputtering. I’m running stihl mottomix in it and changed the fuel filter. Spark plug looks chocolate brown so I think that’s good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . Gerry

My saws seem to run best on 87 octane. just my observation. I tried race gas once and my 066 wouldn't even run on it. ms 290 ran rich and air filter was soaked with gas.

Mine often does this above 6k feet elevation... check carb settings. I found its because it is getting too much fuel for the amount of air it can pull in.
Also, the factory air filter gets plugged after a while. It doesn't always look as filthy as it is, so I generally Scrub it gently with a stiff toothbrush every few days of cutting. Either one will cause the saw to bog and run awful in the cut as you described.

Thanks guys for the help. Carb was good Harly T . Toadman it ended up being the air filter. Thanks! When I opened the cover it looked good so I didn’t think it was that. When I took it off and scrubbed it a lot of gunk and dust came out and she’s back to running fine. Guess I shouldn’t overlook the easy things first. 066blaster will look into doing that muffler mod.

Back