Stihl MS291 So much for German Engineers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adhesives work well and they are used successfully in the aircraft industry, BUT there are stringent requirements that must be met to be 100% reliable such as best choice of adhesive, surface preparation, method of joining parts together for adhesive curing and controlled temp and pressure of adhesive cure cycle. Many places in a production line where errors could occur and with some objects, not possible to do 100% testing of each bond joint. Probably not a good method for chainsaws with their large temperature changes and vibration levels and if done correctly not cheaper then a few screws.

Adhesives on aircraft, at 29,000 ft I’d worry about that there’s no pitstops. Lol I built machines to grind the rotor fan blades.

I attended an Echo school/update way back when, and they had a bunch of engines with piston failures, and we were to guess what caused it. The correct answer almost every time was "bad gas".

Can verify just tore down a CS 360T no glue on the piston parts. However seal blew on crankcase but definitely fixable.
Ive seen a few echo seal blowouts in 16years...i use loctite retaining compound when i install them. Couple drop just for peace of mind

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

The lower end Stihl products are about profit. Stihl has built a name & is considered number 1 for building some of the best quality saws ever made over generations or decades or half centuries. Yes they use that good will & reputation to sell low end product to the uninformed. To the average Joe a 291 looks almost the same as a 462. Stihl at least kinda somewhat stands by their product, the warranty is worth a tad more than the paper it was written on...just. Its a shame, once upon a time you could trust any product they put their name on, but those days are long gone and ALL saw OEMS do this some worse than others. These days companies get rewarded for selling junk in such a price competitive world. Folks generally just aren't prepared to pay for quality and those who do are either in the industry i.e loggers and that's not where Stihl makes their money. For every 362 sold probably over a 100 291's go out the door. Guess you gonna have too get out the glue and stick that POS back together, alternatively rip a grand+ out your wallet & go get a good saw.

The lower end Stihl products are about profit. Stihl has built a name & is considered number 1 for building some of the best quality saws ever made over generations or decades or half centuries. Yes they use that good will & reputation to sell low end product to the uninformed. To the average Joe a 291 looks almost the same as a 462. Stihl at least kinda somewhat stands by their product, the warranty is worth a tad more than the paper it was written on...just. Its a shame, once upon a time you could trust any product they put their name on, but those days are long gone and ALL saw OEMS do this some worse than others. These days companies get rewarded for selling junk in such a price competitive world. Folks generally just aren't prepared to pay for quality and those who do are either in the industry i.e loggers and that's not where Stihl makes their money. For every 362 sold probably over a 100 291's go out the door. Guess you gonna have too get out the glue and stick that POS back together, alternatively rip a grand+ out your wallet & go get a good saw.
Well said,sounds right to me. If people were not so cheap things would be better.

The lower end Stihl products are about profit. Its a shame, once upon a time you could trust any product they put their name on...
It is a shame. There's definitely a market for homeowner "I need to clear out a tree the storm blew down" saws. But catering to that cheap market at the expense of your brand is false economy. When I needed a saw like that for the property up north (fallen tree blocking access), I just got the cheapest on-sale saw from the nearest big box (a Wild Thing!). Amazingly, it still works just fine 15 years later, although it doesn't get a whole lot of use - mostly cutting fallen timber into firepit wood.

Back