Stihl MS291 So much for German Engineers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gubaguba

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So picked up this MS291with a few other saws that needed work. It was darn close to new. Heard a rattle when pulled starter and after tearing it down found that plate on cylinder/crankcase fell off. Also found very little holds it on. In fact it looks like it’s glued on. The cylinder and piston are like new. The build quality is piss poor. Shame really for what this saw sells for new. Can’t imagine why you wouldn’t use fasteners to hold in place. Cutting corners. Included an older Stihl cylinder for reference.7AB34C5F-5689-4961-84C3-5D5BD6346831.jpeg 6AC34035-856A-4F4C-A0B2-6F72DBC9C849.jpeg
F217930A-2359-46AC-A115-850DA4A6C0DF.jpegB05AB8E9-9367-4B1B-9B3A-6219D92FDFF6.jpeg

Honestly! We’re talking Poland quality level. Only Six bolts that are connected to metal on the whole saw. Cylinder is dated 2018 it has sat on my shelf for a year before I decided to work on it. How much wood could it have cut before it self destruct.

working for a top engineering group in the country behind every engineer is a tech keeping him in check. This is what design reviews are for to catch errors before they go into production. I would let them do there own thing till they asked me what I thought. I never put my ideas out there unless asked. Don’t give him or her everything at once. Spoon feed them slowly.

I think Stihl builds great machines but you have to keep everything in perspective. That design has been very successful for it's intended price point. a $350 saw is just that-from pretty much whoever builds it.

I think Stihl builds great machines but you have to keep everything in perspective. That design has been very successful for it's intended price point. a $350 saw is just that-from pretty much whoever builds it.

I think the 291 lists for $459. Not apples to apples, but I paid less than that for my brand new 2166 on eBay, and you can buy a 590 Echo for less than that all day every day. Those 291s are a cruel joke on consumers.

Well Stihl is putting their name on it and if your willing to sell crap for $300 plus dollars (more when this saw sold) at what point does a consumer get something that isn’t crap? Honestly gluing a cylinder together is acceptable? It’s basically disposable landfill in 1 year usage. I have an 011 on my bench right now it’s not a pro saw but build quality twice as good. If this is the case buy Polan, their build quality sucks as well and honestly it’s better then Stihl 291.
As far as eating dirt comment just typical build up on any saw.

I think the 291 lists for $459. Not apples to apples, but I paid less than that for my brand new 2166 on eBay, and you can buy a 590 Echo for less than that all day every day. Those 291s are a cruel joke on consumers.
Yes I thought it was a 290 instead of a 291-wasn't paying attention. Does the Husqvarna 455/460 series have bolt on transfer covers or are they integral to the cylinder?

What$350 try $450
Around here in western Colorado prices are as follows ms241 $529.99
Ms250 $349.95
Ms251 $329.95
Ms261 $579.95
Ms291 $439.99
Ms311 $509.99
Ms362 $779.95
Ms391 $589.95
I just hope, that this is not we have come to. I hope STIHL gets rid of their Lowerend saws (blackhandled even some of their orange handled saws )and pays attention to the quality

675.00 euro for that saw in Ireland, it’s a disgrace, toys are better built and a little cheaper too,
any engineer who would put their name on that should be decommissioned.

Looks like cost cutting operations. Surprised no one caught this in the design review. I think someone higher up the ladder designed this. A shallow threaded hole above the square S in that round boss in the center of the cover could hold the cover secured.

The design hasn't been a problem. Not at all. And it's one of the most popular saw available, number wise.
And it delivers fairly good performance in the wood.

Maybe some can show their design for the ultimate bulletproof saw?

Looks like cost cutting operations. Surprised no one caught this in the design review. I think someone higher up the ladder designed this. A shallow threaded hole above the square S in that round boss in the center of the cover could hold the cover secured.
The design hasn't been a problem. Not at all. And it's one of the most popular saw available, number wise.
And it delivers fairly good performance in the wood.

Maybe some can show their design for the ultimate bulletproof saw?
Are you aware of any problems with the main bearings on the 291, a few people here had new
saws destroyed because of this, not picking at the saw, just curious if others had trouble.

As for sticking on a plate, maybe on something that didn’t need a suspension so you
you could hold it for a few hours without your hands falling asleep, I think it’s a terrible idea
to glue a cover on instead of using a gasket and some bolts.

Back