Stihl MS360, 20" Bar, Skip Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up a cherry 360 and have begun to set it up. My question for you gentlemen, especially those from the western states, is skip chain a good choice on a 20" bar for a 360? Wood is predominantly Douglas Fir. Most of my expierance is cutting hard woods so I have never played around with skip.

Skip chain is just dandy and you could even run a 25" bar on that 360 if your doug fir is anything like sitka spruce. Not as much fun in real hardwoods for sure and no fun at all if your rakers are too low. I usually get 50 feet of it every other year for my 361.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I noticed that when cutting doug fir chip clearance is a real issue, even with a 20" bar. The wood is just plain sticky compared to the eastern oak or maple previously cut.

I just picked up a cherry 360 and have begun to set it up. My question for you gentlemen, especially those from the western states, is skip chain a good choice on a 20" bar for a 360? Wood is predominantly Douglas Fir. Most of my expierance is cutting hard woods so I have never played around with skip.

A good little read and starting point :
http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_sequence.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running full comp chain on all my 20" bars for the last 35 years or so.... cutting every west coast species, with no issues. Saws include 026, 260, 028, 031, 032, 034, 036.
I have used semi-skip on a 24" bar a few times, but usually just grab a bigger saw! Keep your chain sharp!

My understanding is 60cc is about as small a saw as one might want to run skip chain on. I took a trip back East to Minnesota last fall to help my uncle with some storm cleanup, and though box elder is not that hard of a hardwood, it had my 362 rattling like a jackhammer in my hands. At lunch I went in town and got a 20" bar and two loops of full comp chisel, which was much smoother. The hardest thing here in this part of Southeast Alaska you might run across is birch or a fruit tree, though standing dead spruce can petrify itself and get hard as a rock.

Back