• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl MS361 arctic all stock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, if you're the seller and the buyer pays by check, how long after depositing the check do you wait to send the item?

Your bank will of course cash the check, but in a week if the check bounces or turns out to be phony, the depositor is liable for the funds.

I'm by no means suggesting that's what's going on here, but "check kiting" as it's known, is not uncommon.

When getting paid, by Paypal or check, Paypal and my bank will hold and deposited non-cash funds as 'pending' until they clear. Then the money is listed as cash available in my account. Once they clear the clearing house they cannot 'bounce'. Usually that is a 2 to 3 day process. Then I send the saws. In this case I am not worried about the check clearing the bank, or that it was not sent. I just have not gotten it. Dunno, maybe mail has been blocked in AK or Seattle someplace. Most mail is routed into the PNW through Seattle, according to my brother who works for the PO here. I have been getting all my mail from other sources though, except last Tuesday when we had the ice storm and the roads were closed for a day due to downed power lines.

"Rubber checks" as they were called were far more common years ago, but still happens these days. In Australia where I shipped a lot of saws when the dollar was in the tank, there was a loophole in Paypal in Oz where buyers could rip you off and get their money back. Oz has weak banking laws, in general. I only sent saws to people down under that were referred to me by other buyers, and I never got burned. As for priority mail, first class mail is shipped the exact same way, and takes the same amount of time (again, according to my brother at the PO). The best way to send important stuff by envelope s by first class or priority certified or registered mail, so sending and delivery is verified. According to my brother, priority mail is shipped with first class mail, and they take the same time to deliver. Usually 2-3 days nationwide. Certified mail is usually faster, as registered mail is locked up in secure boxes, so registered mail can take a week longer to deliver. Both certified and registered mail result in the sender getting a receipt to verify that the letter was delivered. You can add signature verification to either one as well for more $.

As an aside, when I ship saws I ship USPS and I insure them for full value or more, and I get a tracking number. I have never had a shipped saw lost in the mail, even to Oz, NZ, Canada, or Northern Europe. I do not ship to southern Europe, as according to my brother southern Europe (Italy and Spain primarily) have really big issues with intercepted, lost and stolen mail. That is where he sees the most international postal insurance claims filed.

As an aside, when I ship saws I ship USPS and I insure them for full value or more, and I get a tracking number. I have never had a shipped saw lost in the mail, even to Oz, NZ, Canada, or Northern Europe. I do not ship to southern Europe, as according to my brother southern Europe (Italy and Spain primarily) have really big issues with intercepted, lost and stolen mail. That is where he sees the most international postal insurance claims filed.

I've only had one package get lost in the mail.

Unfortunately it was a spare key to my car. I'd lost the keys in a lake on Lopez island. My wife took the ferry home and overnighted me the spare. It showed up about a month later.

It looks like the PO sat on it on the way to Anchorage. It was dropped in the mail on the 30th in Palmer. It was not postmarked until the 9th in Anchorage, which is the routing center in Alaska. Then another 5 days to get here. Extra slow all around.

I'm not sure why check #2 took a while, had I figured 3-4 days total from time I mailed it. No idea what came of the bank check, I was able to cancel it.

I don't really like the fact that the bank check doesn't track being cashed. It's handy for me though, just a few clicks and all my monthly bills are paid.

I'm on a community well and last year the owner came over saying I was several months behind, as well as most everyone. (Have 12 houses on the well).

Not sure why everyone not paying didn't seem odd to him, but ended up being his teen daughter stealing the checks! His billing system is poo, doesn't show payments received, so no one noticied. Like my power bill, the next month bill show the payment received... pretty normal, his bill is just an excel printout with $55 due, nothing else.

I mailed payment for my state business license (goes to Juneau) at the end of December, just got the license yesterday. Check was cashed on the 20th of Jan, license postmarked to me same day. So took about a month to get to Juneau and be processed and another week to get here!

I would guess that your post office in Palmer put the mail in the wrong truck and/or it got routed wrong. The letter I got from you was post marked 9 days after you posted it and it was post marked in Anchorage. Seems odd. It also took 5 days to be delivered after being postmarked, which is also slow, even for Alaska mail. Should be one day to Seattle, another half to one day to Portland, and a half to one day to deliver it here. I get stuff here from California in 2-3 days.

As for teens stealing checks, that seems pretty common actually. Maybe they teach it in school these days? When my mom was renting from my ****ing ***hole cousin in California, they did not get a rent check one month. My mother said she sent it. Then the check turned up being cashed at a bank in Los Angeles, where my cousin's daughter was going to college. The check was not countersigned and the ID required to cash it was not verified or logged. It took a few months and a complaint had to be filed with the LAPD, but my mother's bank recovered the money from the bank in LA. Some clerk there was canned for cashing the check. Meanwhile my cousin was in denial and claimed that her darling daughter had nothing to do with it. Even though she had been home when the check would have arrived in the mail, and LA is 400 miles south of the SF Bay Area, where my cousin lived. "Someone else must have done it!" Ya, who? The milk man?

Hi Windthrown.
Any chance you might have the serial number?

The saw was stolen from my log yard sometime between Saturday night and this morning. I had it by my firewood processor. I came in today and a small gas jug that I keep bar oil in was near the skid steer. I didn't put it there... hmm.

Not sure what was going on with that, but they also looked in a ~30 gallon "gas buddy" that was empty (they left the lid off) and stole a 5 gal can of gas which was near the back door of the shop (kept outside because we weld and grind)

Back