Stihl ms362 carb settings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xenosaga01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently cleaned up a Stihl ms362 that the previous owner was throwing out. They said it didn’t run right. They turned all the carb adjustment screws randomly and I can’t seem to get the chainsaw to run. It’s getting spark, fuel and air, but I’m guessing the idle jet , high speed jet and the idle speed are set incorrectly. I’m wondering if someone here knows what a close base setting for the carb would be. How many turns out from the screw all the way in? Turning it clockwise or counter clockwise. I’m new to chainsaw carbs so any help is appreciated. Most video’s want you to adjust the carb with it running but I can’t get it running with the screws as messed up as they are.

After a few pulls check the plug and see if it is wet.....Did you pressure/vacuum the saw to see if it was alright. A bad air leak can make a saw hard to start and/or stay running... After I fool with one a while and can't get it set right I pressure test to rule that out. You can also pressure/vacuum test the carb...Try a different plug and I have had coils before show spark, but would not start a saw so don't rule that out 100%...ALso after fooling with a carb for to long I buy one.

Here is a good video on how to test a carb......

Here is a carb I would buy as you got the saw for a really good deal or maybe free if no luck with the carb you have......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Stihl-...VAAAOSwdzZeHc4y:sc:USPSFirstClass!24281!US!-1

After a few pulls check the plug and see if it is wet.....Did you pressure/vacuum the saw to see if it was alright. A bad air leak can make a saw hard to start and/or stay running... After I fool with one a while and can't get it set right I pressure test to rule that out. You can also pressure/vacuum test the carb...Try a different plug and I have had coils before show spark, but would not start a saw so don't rule that out 100%...ALso after fooling with a carb for to long I buy one.

Here is a good video on how to test a carb......

Here is a carb I would buy as you got the saw for a really good deal or maybe free if no luck with the carb you have......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Stihl-...VAAAOSwdzZeHc4y:sc:USPSFirstClass!24281!US!-1

I don’t have the tool to check for vacuum. I got this saw to run for about 10 seconds and it was idleing at about 7k rpms so I shut it off. I tried to adjust the jets and the idle air screw and I just don’t have them not set correctly. Just now I got it to fire for a second then it stopped. I pulled the plug and it is very wet. This is with the high and low jet turned out a full turn. And the idle speed screw about 2 turns out. This model likes to flood easily when not set just right from what I read online.

Is it a Chinese clone carb?

if it’s not :
if it’s set to 1 and 1 and idling at 7k the throttle body butterfly could be too open, try closing it.

Alternatively, the saw may have a leak and sucking in air and you’ll need to pressure and vacuum test it. Does the piston look good condition or is is scored?

if it’s a Chinese carb:
bin it!

I don’t have the tool to check for vacuum. I got this saw to run for about 10 seconds and it was idleing at about 7k rpms so I shut it off. I tried to adjust the jets and the idle air screw and I just don’t have them not set correctly. Just now I got it to fire for a second then it stopped. I pulled the plug and it is very wet. This is with the high and low jet turned out a full turn. And the idle speed screw about 2 turns out. This model likes to flood easily when not set just right from what I read online.
I have seen guys flood a Stihl by keeping the lever in the fully down position after the intial "burp". It must be flipped up to 1/2 position after the burp. New plug?

My
I have seen guys flood a Stihl by keeping the lever in the fully down position after the intial "burp". It must be flipped up to 1/2 position after the burp. New plug?
my lever switch got messed up when I took it apart to clean, it made it so I couldn’t shut off the machine. Had to flood it to get it to stop.. I got it back into correct position. Chainsaw fires up and revs really high. I’m going out right now to fire it up and try to adjust it correctly.

My

my lever switch got messed up when I took it apart to clean, it made it so I couldn’t shut off the machine. Had to flood it to get it to stop.. I got it back into correct position. Chainsaw fires up and revs really high. I’m going out right now to fire it up and try to adjust it correctly. Plug is new. Capped correctly.

My lever switch got messed up when I took it apart to clean, it made it so I couldn’t shut off the machine. Had to flood it to get it to stop.. I got it back into correct position. Chainsaw fires up and revs really high. I’m going out right now to fire it up and try to adjust it correctly.
It's an easy mistake. Welcome to the forum!

Back