Stihl MS440 making a come back?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
Reaction score
while browsing for the upcoming MS462 in Stihl.com which is their international website, I noticed the 440 is now listed under the "Petro Chainsaws for Forestry" again. Does anyone have insights or news on this? If Stihl plan on reviving it my pipe dream may finally come true.

That'd be hilarious if they were selling 440s, 441s, 461s, and 462s all at the same time. Hell, maybe they'll throw in the 500i while they're at it.

It could be available somewhere but we won't have access to it in US. Already checked all N. America websites but the 440 is not listed. Could end up as an European or Africa model, eBay anyone?

We have them in Ontario, always was able to get them. If you would like 1 just ask.. i have sold a dozen or so to friends south of the border

We suffer the same issue, people outside the US like talking saws but when it comes to prices its a sore, embarrassing often laughable number that first shocks you like a taser then follows hate & anger. Countries outside of the States often are so embarrassed about their saw MSRP's they'll only mention them in a PM & not on an open forum. Put it this way our M$661 price starts with a 2...that's all I'm gonna say.

I've been to AU so know the feeling. I PM'd him for price & have yet to receive a reply, I figure based on 1.28 Canadian to 1:00 USD the exchange ratio is slightly in my favor, if he has one in stock.

We suffer the same issue, people outside the US like talking saws but when it comes to the prices its a sore, embarrassing often laughable number that first shocks you then follows hate & anger. Countries outside of the States often are so embarrassed about their saw MSRP's they'll only mention them in a PM & not on an open forum. Put it this way our M$661 price starts with a 2...that's all I'm gonna say.

I never figured the 440 was a big seller. The 460 wasn't much more expensive. Aside from it being slightly heavier (14.6lbs vs 13.9 of the 440), it's better in every other way. 6hp vs 5.4.

With a 24" bar, my 460 Arctic weights 20lbs 4oz. It's featherlite compared to the 288 I have. With a 24" bar, that saw is 24lbs 10oz.

The 362R with 20" bar (I didn't feel like sticking a 24" on it just to weight it) is 18lbs 4oz.

We suffer the same issue, people outside the US like talking saws but when it comes to prices its a sore, embarrassing often laughable number that first shocks you like a taser then follows hate & anger. Countries outside of the States often are so embarrassed about their saw MSRP's they'll only mention them in a PM & not on an open forum. Put it this way our M$661 price starts with a 2...that's all I'm gonna say.

Well, to be fair, Ozzies are hurt in about every category due to the logistics.

In europe the 70cc saws are usually 800-900 USD depending on what model you are looking at and from whom.
I haven't seen a 440 for sale for a while, tho. The 044's I have seen weigh about 1.5lbs different from the 460's I have seen here.

Can probably put a new 661 on your door step for about $1750AUD if you wanted stock. I really think guys from Australia should do more shopping in Canada than USA as the currency exchange isn't as painful. Any idea what kind of import duties/taxes you would have to pay?

(sorry for threadjacking)

I've been to AU so know the feeling. I PM'd him for price & have yet to receive a reply, I figure based on 1.28 Canadian to 1:00 USD the exchange ratio is slightly in my favor, if he has one in stock.

You can't go by posted exchange rates, you have to go by what Paypal will give. Right now that is about 1.25 but it's been around 1.22 for most of the last few months.

Stihl still sells the MS460 and MS660 on several South American markets.
I have no idea how much the 660 is, but in Brazil the 460 retails for R$3,900, which is about US$1,200. You can probablly find it for considerably less if you shop around and pay cash. With the 462C-M already on the market and priced slightly below the 461, it makes zero sense jumping through all the hoops to get one unless you are a hardcore 460 fan or a collector.

I know the MS440 is still sold in South-East Asia but I have zero clues how much it goes for. If the good old 070 is anything to go by however, it's probably bloody expensive. :laugh:

I know that a used Stihl MS 440 runs about $500 because I bought and sold one last year for that. Forgive me forum, but my Echo CS-670 will stay even with it for $200 less:
Echo CS-670 - 1.JPG
A simple shop-made bar adapter allows me to run this saw using any Stihl bar and chain that I have.

Latest posts

Back