Stihl MS441 CM Mtronic problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naui1994

Knows a little about a lot
Reaction score
Long time lurker first time talker. I have an MS441cm that dies in the cut. I have taken it to two dealers and I still have the problem. The ignition has been replaced along with the Mtronic carb. During the carb reset it pulses. Full throttle runs will run for a few seconds then die. Anytime I cut it dies after a second or 2. I hate to take it back to the dealer to pay more money. Any thoughts?

Long time lurker first time talker. I have an MS441cm that dies in the cut. I have taken it to two dealers and I still have the problem. The ignition has been replaced along with the Mtronic carb. During the carb reset it pulses. Full throttle runs will run for a few seconds then die. Anytime I cut it dies after a second or 2. I hate to take it back to the dealer to pay more money. Any thoughts?
If they didn’t fix it the first time then you shouldn’t have payed go back and say it’s doing the same thing and I want my money back for the first “fix” and fix it for real this time. I work at a dealer and I would expect this response if I didn’t fix it and charged for it

If they didn’t fix it the first time then you shouldn’t have payed go back and say it’s doing the same thing and I want my money back for the first “fix” and fix it for real this time. I work at a dealer and I would expect this response if I didn’t fix it and charged for it
The problem being with that is installed the carb myself. They wanted to charge $175 for labor to install the carburetor. I have rebuilt several Stihl saws and know them pretty well. Well enough to know that is a high price for a carb swap. They informed me it was the solenoid and to just get a whole new carb which I did. Saw came back to me with flywheel off and torn down to the cylinder. Clutch was off, worm gear was out and the muffler was off too. Seemed like a lot to have torn apart for a diagnostic and carb removal. The first shop was small threw a new ignition on it charged for the part and said they couldn't figure it out. Hence the second shop. This is my father's saw and after the first bad dealer I told him I would take it to where I go to get my equipment.

I just had a one year old 441 from a place I work (part time) in for the same reason, and it turned out to be a plugged fuel filter.
The dealer replaced the carb solonoid, spark plug, decomp valve, and "couldn't get it recalibrated". so said they couldn't fix it... shop was all warranty work, no money traded hands. I took it home & went through it.
I replaced the fuel filter, recalibrated it (let it idle in the low choke/start position for 90 sec) and I noodled a truck load worth of big rounds into blocks today.
I don't know which of those fixed it, but it would start hard & Idle Ok-ish before this, but as soon as I started cutting it would lose power & die.
It's had a rough go, the guy before me considered it a big saw & I don't think he ever sharpened it judging from the chains on the wall...
He also used it to "cut" thousands of feet worth of slots in the dirt & across gravel driveways for electrical wires, which he would poke wires in with a yard stick.
Some of this might be worth a try.

I just had a one year old 441 from a place I work (part time) in for the same reason, and it turned out to be a plugged fuel filter.
The dealer replaced the carb solonoid, spark plug, decomp valve, and "couldn't get it recalibrated". so said they couldn't fix it... shop was all warranty work, no money traded hands. I took it home & went through it.
I replaced the fuel filter, recalibrated it (let it idle in the low choke/start position for 90 sec) and I noodled a truck load worth of big rounds into blocks today.
I don't know which of those fixed it, but it would start hard & Idle Ok-ish before this, but as soon as I started cutting it would lose power & die.
It's had a rough go, the guy before me considered it a big saw & I don't think he ever sharpened it judging from the chains on the wall...
He also used it to "cut" thousands of feet worth of slots in the dirt & across gravel driveways for electrical wires, which he would poke wires in with a yard stick.
Thank you and that sounds logical. I have a few extra new filters lying around. Let me give that a whirl and see what happens. I have never heard of anyone using a saw for a trencher. Guess if you didn't care about your saw it would work. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

I don't know if I should be pissed or happy but I owe you a cold beer. I swapped the fuel filter and she screams now. Thank you! Here is a picture of the inner filter. Goes back to check the simple things first.

Attachments

• 20200626_194403.jpg
    20200626_194403.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Try to return the carb
I plan on giving them a call tomorrow. I doubt that they will but it's worth a shot. If anything I would like the $50 diagnostic fee refunded. Thanks again everyone for the help. Funny story is that the first dealer we took the saw into we dropped off a ms362 with the same problem. (This is my dad's saw) They told him they replaced the ignition but couldn't fix it. He paid the bill picked up the saw and let it sit for a year. Talked him into taking it in again and he dropped it off at my house. Looked at it and it was a 441. Ended up giving him the wrong saw back with the same issue. Bet the fuel filter was plugged on that 362 also.

I don't know if I should be pissed or happy but I owe you a cold beer. I swapped the fuel filter and she screams now. Thank you! Here is a picture of the inner filter. Goes back to check the simple things first.
Where are you getting your gas? Looks like you need to find a new station. Aren't those supposed to be white?

Where are you getting your gas? Looks like you need to find a new station. Aren't those supposed to be white?
No idea where the previous owner got the fuel. The 362 that he took in and the 441 we got back didn't run right from the get go. There is only a few places around here that offer recreational fuel with not ethanol. I don't think I've ever seen a filter that bad. I'll know now that if my 462 acts up I'll check that first.

Any saw brought to me gets a new fuel filter , the orange one, and maybe a new fuel line. Most of the time that fixes the problem.
Shame on me for not starting there. I've had small engines brought to me that were just out of fuel. Start with the small stuff first. I've never had a fuel filter get plugged that bad.

What do you think of having a 441 instead of the 362 back?
My father was happy to have the extra CCs. I personally ran a 362 for a while and liked it. Haven't ran the 441 for more than 2 minutes since the filter change so hard to say. I can tell you that the 462 that I just bought puts a big smile on my face when I run it.

Glad it helped:)
I would recommend replacing it with one of the newer orange filters from Stihl... The M-Tronics system can be fussy about little particulates & those orange filters help keep that issue down from what I hear.
They supposedly had enough issues with the standard white color filters on early M-Tronics that they sent a service notice about it to the dealers, & colored the new version orange- so tech's could instantly tell if it had been replaced.
That's per my dealer. Who wasn't the one working on the 441 from work, and who normally keeps me in the loop about anything new/revised/issues coming down the pipeline...

Latest posts

Back