Stihl MS462 Spikes Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBurdett

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm brand new here, and have a question... I just bought a brandy new Stihl MS462, non-R version (aka, no wrap handle). I am looking to upgrade the spikes on it. I did a little searching, and mostly I found responses talking about upgrading the clutch/side cover. I found a few spike sets being sold on Ebay, all listing specific side cover part numbers they would fit on. So I decided to check my own side cover part number. I found these numbers... "1142 648 0460 C" imprinted on the side cover itself, and " 1142 656 1502 A 23" on the plastic chip-deflector (I think that's what it's called, sorry if my terminology is incorrect). I then Googled those numbers... and got zero results. According to the almighty Google, my side cover does not even seem to exist. Can anyone help me here? Does anyone know if spikes for other older saws might fit on my 462? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes, spikes from other saws fit the 462. I think that anything from a 440, 441, 660 or probably 661 fit. The 460 and 461 used different spikes, but the 462 switched to the more common pattern.

I googled this for a quick reference and clicked the first link. I'd link to it directly, but arboristsite censors links. Delete the space in the last word. They censor that word too.

460 462 bucking spikes opefor um

Hello all,

I'm brand new here, and have a question... I just bought a brandy new Stihl MS462, non-R version (aka, no wrap handle). I am looking to upgrade the spikes on it. I did a little searching, and mostly I found responses talking about upgrading the clutch/side cover. I found a few spike sets being sold on Ebay, all listing specific side cover part numbers they would fit on. So I decided to check my own side cover part number. I found these numbers... "1142 648 0460 C" imprinted on the side cover itself, and " 1142 656 1502 A 23" on the plastic chip-deflector (I think that's what it's called, sorry if my terminology is incorrect). I then Googled those numbers... and got zero results. According to the almighty Google, my side cover does not even seem to exist. Can anyone help me here? Does anyone know if spikes for other older saws might fit on my 462? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Eric, and welcome to AS!

Ryan is correct - any spikes from the aforementioned series fit the 462. I purchased an "outside" bumper spike, but that's because I do a lot of felling with my 462, and like to have "symmetrical" spikes.... If you're mainly bucking, a second spike is unnecessary....

My 2c...

Mike

Inner spike 1142 664 0500
Outer spike 1142 664 0501

Edit: These are the normal spikes.

Hello all,

Hello all,

I bought these - they will work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362023807105

Great. Thanks for the great responses. I just wanted to be sure I was going to get something that would fit before I ordered anything. Mainly it was the discussions between the wrap vs non-wrap handle and the small vs the large side cover that was confusing me. I am looking for set of symmetrical spikes to do felling with. The ones that bfrazier linked to look just fine to me. Thanks again!

I will have to post a pic of my setup. Purchased an inside dog via ebay for my small cover 462, and trimmed it down a bit and really like it. I felt the stock dog was too small, and most of the aftermarket were too big for my needs. My trimmed down one suits me just right...

Hello again, I wanted to report back and let you all know how I made out so that if anyone else has similar questions, this forum might be able to answer them. I ordered the spikes that bfrazier linked to in his post above, and they did fit my MS462.... sort of. I had to trim a little bit of paint/powder coating and metal off the inside edge of the outer spike to get it to fit properly onto my side cover (which again, has a part # of "1142 648 0460 C"). I uploaded an image showing where it was I had to trim to get the spikes to fit. I did not have to remove much at all, but I thought it was worth mentioning. That ebay listing says these spikes are for the MS460 and MS461, so based on that, I assume (a dangerous thing to do I know) that if you have an MS462 without a wrap handle, spikes listed for either of those older saws will fit. I hope this helps anyone having similar questions. (EDIT - I did the trimming of the paint/powder coating/metal with a Dremel tool with a carbide bit, just FYI.)

Attachments

• MS462 Spikes.jpg
    MS462 Spikes.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 35
Hello again, I wanted to report back and let you all know how I made out so that if anyone else has similar questions, this forum might be able to answer them. I ordered the spikes that bfrazier linked to in his post above, and they did fit my MS462.... sort of. I had to trim a little bit of paint/powder coating and metal off the inside edge of the outer spike to get it to fit properly onto my side cover (which again, has a part # of "1142 648 0460 C"). I uploaded an image showing where it was I had to trim to get the spikes to fit. I did not have to remove much at all, but I thought it was worth mentioning. That ebay listing says these spikes are for the MS460 and MS461, so based on that, I assume (a dangerous thing to do I know) that if you have an MS462 without a wrap handle, spikes listed for either of those older saws will fit. I hope this helps anyone having similar questions. (EDIT - I did the trimming of the paint/powder coating/metal with a Dremel tool with a carbide bit, just FYI.)

I had to do the same thing but my saw loves the new spikes and so do I!
3a57b62cb8d662d9aedd87ac6871e12a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered the spikes directly from Stihl($15 each btw...not bad) and I had to trim the outside spike in the same area to get it to fit as well. Bout a minute worth of time on m bench grinder going slow and fitting frequently so I didn't take too much. Real easy.

They look great and are far more substantial.

Part numbers:
1122 664 0506
1122 664 0501

Xr6L6dG.jpg

Back