ArboristSite.com Sponsors

SOLD!!!! Stihl MS660 MS461

Discussion in 'Chainsaws' started by chipper1, Dec 22, 2016.

1. SAWMIKAZE

SAWMIKAZE Addicted to ArboristSite

It takes a WELL ported 660 to keep up with a 661 that has only a muffler mod and broke in..ive tried it and was kinda shocked at how well the new saws run.

2. S Tebo

S Tebo ArboristSite Guru

I would not argue with you that the 661 is a more advanced, better developed saw. Hell, Stihl even figured out that if they use another metal besides steel for the mufflers; they won't rust lol! However, once the odd ball transfers are corrected by a good porter, the 660 is on another level as compared to stock. When the 661 came out I told Randy that I was considering trading in/selling my ported 660 for one and asked him for his opinion on the two. He said "don't waste your time. That yes, stock for stock, the 661 is a better saw. However once ported, they are very very close and a properly ported 660 will cut circles around a stock 661". I only had run 2 tanks through my 660 before I sent it to Randy and I have only run a couple of tanks through it since getting it back so it is still improving. I have had the chance to run it along side several stock 661's and a lightly modded 661 that a friend has (Muff Mod & base gasket delete) and there is no comparison. So I either have an exceptionally strong 660, or good porters do indeed turn out "well" ported saws that more than close the gap. I do very much like the 661's though and plan to add one to my collection eventually. But I won't be selling my 660 to make it happen...

Cheers!
    Scott

r black, Firemoore98 and chipper1 like this.
  3. chipper1

chipper1 Living Life to the Full

That's good to here Scott.
    The question now is when is your appointment to have the 461 sent to TN, I have the address :D.

r black and S Tebo like this.
  4. S Tebo

S Tebo ArboristSite Guru

I figured a Bump is a Bump! Sadly, I happen to have that same address on Speed Dial in my Favorites on my phone- lol! My next victims are my 064, 372 and 55...

r black and chipper1 like this.
  5. chipper1

I just got a 55 I picked up a while back going Friday. I couldn't believe the compression it had. I about hurt myself pulling it over. I crotched it and gave it a pull and the thing about hit me in the head. I didn't have a bar on it so that didn't help lol. I pulled the cover and hooked it up and it's hitting just under 170 psi. Also just realized it and the other one I have are both closed port versions.
    I may get a minute tomorrow to get it tuned, looking forward to hearing it run in some wood. It sounded good when fired up and getting the carb close :).
    It hasn't been cleaned yet either.
    20170106_152640.jpg 20170106_152849.jpg

MnSam and S Tebo like this.
  6. RyeThomas

RyeThomas ArboristSite Operative

I'm more than happy with the 660, I'm sure the 661 is nicer but it's not any easier on the check book. I'm thinking if I get bored with my 362c/660 rather than take a chance and buy different saws I can see if I can send them both at once to a certain builder and have them done up.
    I don't run saws for a living so the added features of the 661 are nice but aren't really going to get me to jump ship. I just wanted a solid 90cc saw at a specific price point (I went a few dollars north but it was worth it) and that's what I got.

Have a good week Gents and be safe, Rye.

stihlaficionado, S Tebo and chipper1 like this.
  7. S Tebo

S Tebo ArboristSite Guru

@MnSam turned me onto these. He's quite the aficionado of them and hooked me up with one of his prized possessions. After having it for 6 months (sad...) I finally put gas in it last weekend to try some test cuts. Needless to say, I was impressed and see why people like them. Muff Mod should really wake it up. :)

Husky 55CP (7).jpg
    Husky 55CP (6).jpg

MnSam and chipper1 like this.
  8. chipper1

Very nice. I don't think mine will clean up that nice.
    You doing timed cuts on those rounds :).

tla100 likes this.
  9. S Tebo

S Tebo ArboristSite Guru

The squires that lived in the tree sure were! They brought it down in record time :laugh:

chipper1 likes this.
  10. r black

r black ArboristSite Guru

from what i hear those ported 064's vibrate to much and don't sound all that good i would not bother just give it to me ill dispose of it for you :) next to the one i already have...... lol

S Tebo and chipper1 like this.
  11. S Tebo

S Tebo ArboristSite Guru

I was lucky enough to have a friend in WA help me find a true survivor out there so I don't think it's going anywhere except to lose some holiday weight around it's mid- section. :D

Now, if we could just help Brett get his 461 sold...

r black and chipper1 like this.
  12. chipper1

Thanks, when it's time it will go, I'm not hurting for cash so I'm in no hurry. Besides why only have one 461, when you can have 2 :D.
    I just brought it upstairs and plan on doing a little cutting with it and my ported 044, and also tune the 55. I may make a video for you guys if I get to cutting, and have someone to shoot it :picture:.

S Tebo, r black and LonestarStihl like this.
  13. chipper1

Ok here's a video of it in a chunk of red oak.
    This was cut this fall then thrown in the woods by my log pile so it was full of sap that is now frozen, welcome to Michigan lol.

maulhead and S Tebo like this.
  14. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

Throw in a couple free oil changes that should move it

15. chipper1

Sorry mark, fresh out of filters right now :laugh:.

16. RyeThomas

Oh boy, I just picked up the 461.
    I couldn't resist! Now I have to see if I'm man enough to use it as my full time saw. It's replacing a 362cm that I liked a lot but I'm a sucker for power. Once I cut with the 660 I knew the 362 was gonna have to be ported or traded up.
    Hope I made a good choice!

Ugh I need to go to Betty Ford for chainsaws.

Brett has way to many cool saws and is way to easy to work with.

17. S Tebo

S Tebo ArboristSite Guru

Good on ya for doing the double deal. Awesome saws from a great seller. They say that the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. You now have a clinical case of CAD... ;)

RyeThomas and chipper1 like this.
  18. chipper1

What till he tells you the rest of the story :laugh:.
    It's all good though, he will have to buy a husky to find the rd to recovery :happybanana:.

19. RyeThomas

Yeah well it started with a SuperSplit HD. Then I needed a little bigger saw to noodle some of the larger stuff I've had laying around. I really like my 362CM but with a 25" bar you have to finesse things. (I carry a sledge hammer on all calls in the Fire Department, not cause it's cool but because it fits my mentality. If it don't work get a bigger hammer.)
    So I purchased the 660 and while it is complete overkill with only a 28" bar it sure as heck makes me smile.
    Then I thought maybe I should try Brett's ported 440, but ultimately decided the 461 would be next.

That escalated quickly, lol.
    So now I have 3 saws. My rational side says I can use the 461 for everything and sell my 362/660. My dumb man side says never sell the 660 because I always wanted a big Stihl and while not practical you only live once. Lastly the moron in me says keep all 3.

The good news is they are all quality saws and with the prices I got them for it wouldn't be hard to break even or close too it if I had to sell 1 or 2 of them.

So time will tell but at 40 years old I haven't really grown up and I'll always be a bit of a moron. Lmao.

20. chipper1

I like and agree with this part Rye.
    If you end up needing to sell just sell half of the saws, preferably the front half, the bar and chains :happybanana:.