• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl MS660 MS461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello neighbor,

Welcome to AS and congrats on the 660! You would have been hard pressed to buy from a better member than Brett. I have often been on the fence about the 460/461 and 660/661. But once ported the older models will run circles around the newer ones anyway. Plus you are kind of married to them price wise after porting. I figured that there will always be a newer model coming along, but they don't make any more of the classics like the 044/064/066, so I kept what I had and went that direction instead.

Now what you need to do is send your 362 to TN. When you get it back, you will forget all about wanting a 4 series saw. Pulls a 20-24" bar with ease, less vibes and 1/2 the weight for only $350. ;)

Cheers!
Scott

It takes a WELL ported 660 to keep up with a 661 that has only a muffler mod and broke in..ive tried it and was kinda shocked at how well the new saws run.

It takes a WELL ported 660 to keep up with a 661 that has only a muffler mod and broke in..ive tried it and was kinda shocked at how well the new saws run.

I would not argue with you that the 661 is a more advanced, better developed saw. Hell, Stihl even figured out that if they use another metal besides steel for the mufflers; they won't rust lol! However, once the odd ball transfers are corrected by a good porter, the 660 is on another level as compared to stock. When the 661 came out I told Randy that I was considering trading in/selling my ported 660 for one and asked him for his opinion on the two. He said "don't waste your time. That yes, stock for stock, the 661 is a better saw. However once ported, they are very very close and a properly ported 660 will cut circles around a stock 661". I only had run 2 tanks through my 660 before I sent it to Randy and I have only run a couple of tanks through it since getting it back so it is still improving. I have had the chance to run it along side several stock 661's and a lightly modded 661 that a friend has (Muff Mod & base gasket delete) and there is no comparison. So I either have an exceptionally strong 660, or good porters do indeed turn out "well" ported saws that more than close the gap. I do very much like the 661's though and plan to add one to my collection eventually. But I won't be selling my 660 to make it happen...

Cheers!
Scott

I would not argue with you that the 661 is a more advanced, better developed saw. Hell, Stihl even figured out that if they use another metal besides steel for the mufflers; they won't rust lol! However, once the odd ball transfers are corrected by a good porter, the 660 is on another level as compared to stock. When the 661 came out I told Randy that I was considering trading in/selling my ported 660 for one and asked him for his opinion on the two. He said "don't waste your time. That yes, stock for stock, the 661 is a better saw. However once ported, they are very very close and a properly ported 660 will cut circles around a stock 661". I only had run 2 tanks through my 660 before I sent it to Randy and I have only run a couple of tanks through it since getting it back so it is still improving. I have had the chance to run it along side several stock 661's and a lightly modded 661 that a friend has (Muff Mod & base gasket delete) and there is no comparison. So I either have an exceptionally strong 660, or good porters do indeed turn out "well" ported saws that more than close the gap. I do very much like the 661's though and plan to add one to my collection eventually. But I won't be selling my 660 to make it happen...

Cheers!
Scott
That's good to here Scott.
The question now is when is your appointment to have the 461 sent to TN, I have the address :D.

That's good to here Scott.
The question now is when is your appointment to have the 461 sent to TN, I have the address :D.

I figured a Bump is a Bump! Sadly, I happen to have that same address on Speed Dial in my Favorites on my phone- lol! My next victims are my 064, 372 and 55...

I figured a Bump is a Bump! Sadly, I happen to have that same address on Speed Dial in my Favorites on my phone- lol! My next victims are my 064, 372 and 55...
I just got a 55 I picked up a while back going Friday. I couldn't believe the compression it had. I about hurt myself pulling it over. I crotched it and gave it a pull and the thing about hit me in the head. I didn't have a bar on it so that didn't help lol. I pulled the cover and hooked it up and it's hitting just under 170 psi. Also just realized it and the other one I have are both closed port versions.
I may get a minute tomorrow to get it tuned, looking forward to hearing it run in some wood. It sounded good when fired up and getting the carb close :).
It hasn't been cleaned yet either.
20170106_152640.jpg20170106_152849.jpg

I'm more than happy with the 660, I'm sure the 661 is nicer but it's not any easier on the check book. I'm thinking if I get bored with my 362c/660 rather than take a chance and buy different saws I can see if I can send them both at once to a certain builder and have them done up.
I don't run saws for a living so the added features of the 661 are nice but aren't really going to get me to jump ship. I just wanted a solid 90cc saw at a specific price point (I went a few dollars north but it was worth it) and that's what I got.

Have a good week Gents and be safe, Rye.

I just got a 55 I picked up a while back going Friday. I couldn't believe the compression it had. I about hurt myself pulling it over. I crotched it and gave it a pull and the thing about hit me in the head. I didn't have a bar on it so that didn't help lol. I pulled the cover and hooked it up and it's hitting just under 170 psi. Also just realized it and the other one I have are both closed port versions.
I may get a minute tomorrow to get it tuned, looking forward to hearing it run in some wood. It sounded good when fired up and getting the carb close :).
It hasn't been cleaned yet either.
View attachment 549658View attachment 549659

@MnSam turned me onto these. He's quite the aficionado of them and hooked me up with one of his prized possessions. After having it for 6 months (sad...) I finally put gas in it last weekend to try some test cuts. Needless to say, I was impressed and see why people like them. Muff Mod should really wake it up. :)

Husky 55CP (7).jpg
Husky 55CP (6).jpg

@MnSam turned me onto these. He's quite the aficionado of them and hooked me up with one of his prized possessions. After having it for 6 months (sad...) I finally put gas in it last weekend to try some test cuts. Needless to say, I was impressed and see why people like them. Muff Mod should really wake it up. :)

View attachment 549776
View attachment 549775
Very nice. I don't think mine will clean up that nice.
You doing timed cuts on those rounds :).

from what i hear those ported 064's vibrate to much and don't sound all that good i would not bother just give it to me ill dispose of it for you :) next to the one i already have...... lol

I was lucky enough to have a friend in WA help me find a true survivor out there so I don't think it's going anywhere except to lose some holiday weight around it's mid- section. :D

Now, if we could just help Brett get his 461 sold...

I was lucky enough to have a friend in WA help me find a true survivor out there so I don't think it's going anywhere except to lose some holiday weight around it's mid- section. :D

Now, if we could just help Brett get his 461 sold...
Thanks, when it's time it will go, I'm not hurting for cash so I'm in no hurry. Besides why only have one 461, when you can have 2 :D.
I just brought it upstairs and plan on doing a little cutting with it and my ported 044, and also tune the 55. I may make a video for you guys if I get to cutting, and have someone to shoot it :picture:.

Oh boy, I just picked up the 461.
I couldn't resist! Now I have to see if I'm man enough to use it as my full time saw. It's replacing a 362cm that I liked a lot but I'm a sucker for power. Once I cut with the 660 I knew the 362 was gonna have to be ported or traded up.
Hope I made a good choice!

Ugh I need to go to Betty Ford for chainsaws.

Brett has way to many cool saws and is way to easy to work with.

Good on ya for doing the double deal. Awesome saws from a great seller. They say that the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. You now have a clinical case of CAD... ;)

Good on ya for doing the double deal. Awesome saws from a great seller. They say that the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. You now have a clinical case of CAD... ;)
What till he tells you the rest of the story :laugh:.
It's all good though, he will have to buy a husky to find the rd to recovery :happybanana:.

Yeah well it started with a SuperSplit HD. Then I needed a little bigger saw to noodle some of the larger stuff I've had laying around. I really like my 362CM but with a 25" bar you have to finesse things. (I carry a sledge hammer on all calls in the Fire Department, not cause it's cool but because it fits my mentality. If it don't work get a bigger hammer.)
So I purchased the 660 and while it is complete overkill with only a 28" bar it sure as heck makes me smile.
Then I thought maybe I should try Brett's ported 440, but ultimately decided the 461 would be next.

That escalated quickly, lol.
So now I have 3 saws. My rational side says I can use the 461 for everything and sell my 362/660. My dumb man side says never sell the 660 because I always wanted a big Stihl and while not practical you only live once. Lastly the moron in me says keep all 3.

The good news is they are all quality saws and with the prices I got them for it wouldn't be hard to break even or close too it if I had to sell 1 or 2 of them.

So time will tell but at 40 years old I haven't really grown up and I'll always be a bit of a moron. Lmao.

The good news is they are all quality saws and with the prices I got them for it wouldn't be hard to break even or close too it if I had to sell 1/2 of them.
I like and agree with this part Rye.
If you end up needing to sell just sell half of the saws, preferably the front half, the bar and chains :happybanana:.

Latest posts

Back