Stihl mystery chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need help identifying some Stihl chain.
I have 2 stihl boxes labeled 36 rsc 114 but no bar for it.
The actual chain inside is 3/8 pitch .063 gauge 108 driver links.
Is this obsolete chain or something else it appears to be about 36" length
I'm having a tough time finding a bar for it.

I was using RSC, (Rapid Super Comfort) chisel chain 10 years ago then my dealer had RS 2-3 years back. I bought reels of the RSC and still run it. The 114 links do seem an odd size, wasn`t one of the Stihl bars more like 35"?

Been waiting almost a month for my local dealer to get me a bag of presets and tie straps for 3/8...So I can "tweek" a stihl chain.
Stihl supply chain reported temporay shortage...local dealer are great helpful guys , but they only inventory/stock "loops".

Been waiting almost a month for my local dealer to get me a bag of presets and tie straps for 3/8...So I can "tweek" a stihl chain.
Stihl supply chain reported temporay shortage...great helpful guys , but they only inventory/stock "loops".
Wow dealers are a real distance apart in service . If I need presets my dealer usually just grabs a few bags off the bench and throws them my way . Not the cheapest dealer but I get good service . Can’t put a price tag on that .

Not many dealers spinning chains anymore, bulk purchase price on boxed chain is hard to beat.

The chains in question might be for a non Stihl setup, one of them old beaver tail bars or some sort of bow.

Some times the drive link count gets weird going from .5 down to .3ish.

I just cut down some 97 link .404 to 94, no idea what the 97 was for.

Wow dealers are a real distance apart in service . If I need presets my dealer usually just grabs a few bags off the bench and throws them my way . Not the cheapest dealer but I get good service . Can’t put a price tag on that .

Would not disagree that point. They mainly deal with Stihl and Husky. Probably very regionally different... but just outside of Boston (shitte place to live) most of their action is from arborists companies that "manicure" yuppie's estate trees. The few yuppies that bother to buy a homeowner sthil bring their saw in to the dealer for the slightest hiccup that alarms them.
I seem to keep them on their toes with all the weird and old saw discussions, like carb rebuilds, chain maintenace, bars, clutches and all minutia
Very friendly and helpful guys though they know they will never sell me any o*p*e.

A long shot, but possibly chains for a 3/8" conversion for the 088/MS880.
That’s possible I have at least 2 bars that the part number does not work in the us to replace the bar tips . Both are wide nose bars . 1 is a 30 inch and one is a 32 . I got both from out of the wonderful country to the north

thanks for all the replies, I have an 880, but not sure if this chain will work on a 12 tooth sprocket, so the plan is to take out 3 lengths and run on a 32" bar on my 660.

Latest posts

Back