Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawman53

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
DSCF1210.jpg Hello from down under, (Australia)
I am new to restoring old Stihl chainsaws and ran into a problem finding fan housing badges. I bought one from America
and I am not impressed with it. It does not have the curve to fit on a 08s and is 1mm thick not 1.5 mm like the original.
The price is another thing.
So I had this idea to make water decals that fit on the old badges. I sand them and spray them with silver first for the best results.
The question is: Is there a market for this product? I sell these decals in 2 different colours ( like the Photos) worldwide on Ebay.
Regards,
GarryDSCF1196.jpg DSCF1206.jpg

Interesting. So the first photo is the original and the last are the decals? Looks like the red could be stronger but otherwise, nice work.
Is there a market? Maybe. Sure would be simple to sand and install a decal. Would you remove the emblem anyway so you could paint underneath, then glue it back in place? Have you thought of printing on metallic decal stock? There are shiny and dull finishes.

Gotta remember that you're selling something for a vintage chainsaw. How many people are you close with like vintage chainsaws? How many of the old saws are around? How many of those people and those saws need a new badge? I often forget how silly playing this vintage saw game is.

That what my wife says. Waste of money, but we have to waste it on something. Who gets the saws and looks after them when I am dead. ( I am 65) Stopping now after having 1x07,1x08,3x08s,1x045,1x032.
Plus my work saws like ms 381 and 023.
I do these stickers because of the fun of it, there is no money in it. It took and old ex german, living in Australia for 40 years, to come up with a silly idea that works.
Regards,
Garry

I love that old stihl logo. I can't seem to buy a saw with one though. My 051 is to new for that logo. Kind of a down fall on a bad azz vintage saw but it does have a chain brake which is unique. If I could get a stihl sign for my garage that would be the logo I would want. Looks good.

Just trying to buy 051 at ebay auction. I understand the german 051 had the old badge. You could have the brazil 051. See if I can get this saw for about $ 150.00 us.Screenshot (136).png

View attachment 639954 View attachment 639953 View attachment 639955 Started on the 051. Can't help myself. Who came up with that stupid idea to restore 50 year old chainsaws? Nothing a bit of paint and JB Weld can't fix.
those are some beautiful pieces of art work and i know this is a old thread but I am restoring a 038 magnum 2 and got some name tags off ebay and was just wondering how you put yours back on? They are OEM riveted it looks like- any help appreciated

Hello from down under,
I am new to restoring myself, less then 12 month, but this is what I use. The old rivets can be reused because they have some sort of slot on them, the long way. I use a bit of superglue when they lose.
The newer ones are different. They have a bit of a hole in the back and then they are opened up with a punch to stay on place. After drilling them to remove I can't reuse them.
Here is a photo what I use. They called aluminum knurled rivets and our friend in china sell them. They are 3mm x 6mm but 3mm is the shaft so the fins stick out more. Sometimes stihl used 2.5 mm rivets than I drill the whole to 3mm.
The Chinese also sell 2.5mm x 6mm knurled rivets, but I don't have any. I can send 3mm ones if you need them.
Regards,
Garry

Attachments

• DSCF1369.JPG
    DSCF1369.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Hello from down under,
I am new to restoring myself, less then 12 month, but this is what I use. The old rivets can be reused because they have some sort of slot on them, the long way. I use a bit of superglue when they lose.
The newer ones are different. They have a bit of a hole in the back and then they are opened up with a punch to stay on place. After drilling them to remove I can't reuse them.
Here is a photo what I use. They called aluminum knurled rivets and our friend in china sell them. They are 3mm x 6mm but 3mm is the shaft so the fins stick out more. Sometimes stihl used 2.5 mm rivets than I drill the whole to 3mm.
The Chinese also sell 2.5mm x 6mm knurled rivets, but I don't have any. I can send 3mm ones if you need them.
Regards,
Garry
Hello from the States,
I thank you for the reply and that is spot on advice on what to use- found some on amazon so I am good to go Big Thanks again

Restored the 051. Pulling out of chainsaws now. No more room and the last crook I ran into on Ebay did not help. Regards from down under. Garry
.DSCF1539.JPG DSCF1543.JPG DSCF1548.JPG DSCF1547.JPG

Latest posts

Back