Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedford T

the1chainsawguy
Reaction score
I found this color that is an exact match for the orange. I ordered it of course with hope and after it arrived at the dealer/ace we took it to the stihl dept and it is an exact color match. It looks to be a dual coat for plastic. The almost grays did not get it for me, this stihl gray was shown to me. With these OTC regular paints they change so if you need it buy it now and sit on it until you need it.
stihl gray.jpg stihl paint 1.jpg stihl paint 2.jpg

Stihl grey covers very well but has NO fuel resistance, even if baked in an oven.

Stihl orange takes at least a dozen coats to cover and has no fuel resistance.

The best off the shelf spray paint I've found is Ford grey from Tractor Supply Company, or any tractor/implement paint. I'm not sure which orange is best. There are several.

A much better option is Naxon single stage acrylic enamel, a machine paint. You'll have to get it custom mixed from an automotive paint store and spray it with a gun.

Cheapest and best way I've found to keep the STIHL raised letters black is an occasional Sharpie "permanent" marker. When it comes to chain saws, nothing seems to be permanent, not even paint. And, the white plastic label on the shroud that identifies the model number with black letters is designed to break off as quickly as possible.

Once I get the gray paint I will try some different things. I have a good spray can of clear coat somewhere I used on RC cars. I will give the orange a good soak of straight gas. I don't have access to ethanol fuel. I will try avgas too.

Stihl grey covers very well but has NO fuel resistance, even if baked in an oven.

Stihl orange takes at least a dozen coats to cover and has no fuel resistance.

The best off the shelf spray paint I've found is Ford grey from Tractor Supply Company, or any tractor/implement paint. I'm not sure which orange is best. There are several.

A much better option is Naxon single stage acrylic enamel, a machine paint. You'll have to get it custom mixed from an automotive paint store and spray it with a gun.

Brad -

Is this the one that you use? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ray-enamel-11-oz-light-ford-gray?cm_vc=-10005

Thanks

Scott

To get any durability at all you need to be using a two component catalyzed paint. Preferably with epoxy primer over your bare metal and a urethane or polyurethane topcoat.

For fuel resistant clear try spray max brand part number 3680068. It is a two component catalyzed aerosol. Probably too shiney for a chainsaw lol. Warning, it contains isocyanites. Source: I sell automotive paint for a living.

I will be using the orange for a JB Weld restored plastic top cover. Would you use the same paint? Any special prep?

Who knows of the two brands will be compatable...the stihl paint is probably acrylic enamel which may or may not react with a catalyzed urethane. When you start mixing and matching brands and resin types you can run into problems. If it was me, I would prep as follows: clean plastics with hot soapy water and a clean scrub brush. Wipe down with alcohol or wax and grease remover. Using a gray scotch brite and hot water, scuff parts. Rinse and dry. Apply orange per mfg instructions. Allow to cure fully. Scuff orange paint with gray scotch brite. Wipe with wax and grease remover. Apply clearcoat.

If it was me I wouldn't paint the plastics...no way you can replicate the oem plastic look with paint. On the other hand, the heat on the crank case should be easy to match.

If it was me I wouldn't paint the plastics...no way you can replicate the oem plastic look with paint. On the other hand, the heat on the crank case should be easy to match.

Here's what I'm trying to do (see pics). The top cover had a big melted hole which I mended by putting sheet aluminum on the underside and JB Weld on top. The sanding is not finished, but I would like to paint it to hide the mend as well as possible.

Attachments

• 1495142517751_IMG_20170518_161651_951.jpg
    1495142517751_IMG_20170518_161651_951.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 37
  • 1495142559019_IMG_20170518_161704_791.jpg
    1495142559019_IMG_20170518_161704_791.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 37
Heat resistant-engine paint works pretty good it has ceramics in it,However the colors are limited.

Rustoleum makes a gloss white appliance epoxy rattle can. At home depot. Actually cheaper than regular paint, covers well, and claims to dry to a "extremely hard" finish. So far i havent had gas effect it.

Back