Stihl Pro Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have their splitting axe and it does a decent job splitting, but the handle must be designed for somebody who’s four feet tall and can palm a basketball. Way too fat and the part that’s even halfway appropriately sized is maybe 18” long. And it’s very head heavy. The back side is rounded, so it’s not even good for driving wedges... Not that a splitting axes are good for working in the woods, it’s hard to skive bark with a splitter. It now sits in a corner while my Council Tool maul continues to do the work.

The Stihl materials and build quality seems reasonable for the price. Balance and feel is something else and can be subjective. Not sure who they're buying from but you could probably do worse.

When it comes to axes I'd probably either go for a less expensive option from Council Tools or a more expensive premium option from Gransfors Bruk. I see axes as multi-decade items that I am unlikely to ever sell, so I tend to lean more towards Gransfors Bruk.

Back