STIHL Progressive Depth Gauge Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started sharpening my chain. Bought a file with a file guide and a "regular" depth gauge tool from my local Stihl dealer. The results from my first filing were awesome, but I also ordered one of these progressive gauges because i've read good things. I just got it today but i'm wondering if i'm trying to use it correctly.
Welcome to A.S.!

It looks like you are positioning it correctly, from your photo and the instructions that come with the tool.

The chains you mention are 'comparable' pitch, but may have different cutter geometry due to the different manufacturers. If you are happy with the results from using your conventional, fixed offset gauge, I would keep using that for a while. The benefits of the 'progressive' depth gauge setting are associated with cutters that are worn back farther, toward the later part of their life. So you may try the progressive gauge again after that chain has seen quite a bit more use. From your description, filing the depth gauges down now, using the progressive settings, might create a very aggressive chain.

Please let us know what you find.

What is the center cutout for? I
If you are asking about the short lines or 'crown' that extend above the depth gauge cut-out, we have been wondering too!

Philbet

Welcome to A.S.!

It looks like you are positioning it correctly, from your photo and the instructions that come with the tool.

The chains you mention are 'comparable' pitch, but may have different cutter geometry due to the different manufacturers. If you are happy with the results from using your conventional, fixed offset gauge, I would keep using that for a while. The benefits of the 'progressive' depth gauge setting are associated with cutters that are worn back farther, toward the later part of their life. So you may try the progressive gauge again after that chain has seen quite a bit more use. From your description, filing the depth gauges down now, using the progressive settings, might create a very aggressive chain.

Please let us know what you find.

If you are asking about the short lines or 'crown' that extend above the depth gauge cut-out, we have been wondering too!

Philbet

Thanks for the info! I tried to file one depth gauge down with the hard setting as a test. I ended up taking material off from the middle of the depth gauge, and gave it a different angle, but I don't think I took off anything height wise from the very top of the depth gauge.
Interestingly the progressive gauge gave the depth gauge almost exactly the same angle and shape as how the other "low kicback" depth gauge looks from the factory.
I think i'll continue using the "regular" gauge for now as you recommended. When it's time to buy a new chain i'll probably buy a Stihl one anyways since I can buy it locally.

Got to try mine out on a chain I recently filed. I had already done the rakers with the progressive style Husqvarna gauge.

This EU Stihl gauge is a little more aggressive on the hard setting the the Husq gauge. I think that’ll be a very good thing for the wood I cut, but haven’t cut yet to prove it. Steel is significantly harder, but not impervious to the file.

Takes a little getting used to. It butts to a tie strap rather than the back of a cutter.

Karl,
I'd be interested in the 3/8, 3/8 picco and the 1/4. Thanks for getting these to the states!
Lee
Ok Lee no problem. The dealer is VERY slow getting stuff in atm (I’m waiting for loads of bits and have been for weeks now) but I’ll order what u want and let u know when they’re in :popcorn2:

I bought a Husqvarna progressive depth gauge years ago, I think I bought it from Bailey's and it was cheap. I've been using it on LPX, it works just fine, and I'm sure it will work on other chains as well.

Haven’t done much of anything with a chainsaw this summer. But my Dad’s sister lives in Cedar Rapids and we both went up there to help her with storm cleanup. 3 of the 4 chains I took along had rakers indexed with the Stihl gauge. The other was a new in box chain.

I don’t attempt any sort of direct comparison with another gauge, but the chains did cut very aggressively and smoothly in big ash. Hard setting is what I used. Looks like a good product to me. Steel is definitely harder than the Husky gauge.

That's my only complaint with the Husky gauge. Think I may have been in a bit of denial tryin' to get my money's worth out of the first one I bought several years ago. Obviously had to go back for an extra swipe or two on the cutters after doing the rakers. It was lower on the hard side than the soft side at that point! LOL
Would love to try the Stihl versions if they were more conveniently available and I had the extra money, but for now I have a few spare Husky tools stashed away for when the cutters start showing through the one I'm using.

0818201636a_resized.jpg

Back