STIHL Progressive Depth Gauge Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to get some stihl chainsaw boots here in Aus, even gave them part numbers, but nope, couldnt be ordered thru stihl.
ok to sell in uk and usa, but for some reason, those safety standards are not enough for them to be sold here. o_O

go figure

so I went out and bought some sandals and cut in those :) :crazy2::crazy::surprised3:;):eek::eek::confused:

Found these in response to another thread. Do not appear to be available in USA. Anyone familiar with or have experience with them? Might need a member-friend in EU to obtain?

View attachment 769700

Tools for MS-cutting attachment maintenance: File gauge
For manual reworking of the depth gauge made from hardened steel with special coating. Two settings for hard and soft wood. Using the hook, both the groove in the bar and the bar's oil hole can be cleaned.

File gauge .404" 00008934010
File gauge 3/8" 00008934009
File gauge .325" 00008934008
File gauge 3/8"P 00008934007
File gauge 1/4"P 00008934006

STIHL 'FL1 - FL5 ' (might not be available through USA dealers):
https://www.stihl.com/sharpening-saw-chain.aspx (link to video)

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...ent-maintenance/267816-63674/File-gauges.aspx

Philbert

@DND 9000 is over in Germany. Wonder if he could help us out?

It's going to happen if we keep up the conversation.

Someone will come along.

You all give me your money and I'll go set up 'round the corner. Haha

Harley's link showed that World of Power.co.uk has them. I will call them today and see if they can do Stihl products direct to NA in bulk?
I will try FR Jones also. They told me recently that they sell many products to Canada. I will ask about stihl products.
I know World of Power will give me free delivery over £100 but delivery can only go to address where card is registered.

I will see what they say first and then we can go from there.
Time for work...

Seems screwed in the head a huge multi national company would play games like this north America ain't exactly a small market. Just doesn't add up especially in today's world where anyone can order what ever they like from anywhere I can't understand why there is even different markets for small stuff like that and it's not like there getting asked for husky parts. Its there own dam products.

Rant over sorry guys

Seems screwed in the head a huge multi national company would play games like this north America ain't exactly a small market. Just doesn't add up especially in today's world where anyone can order what ever they like from anywhere I can't understand why there is even different markets for small stuff like that and it's not like there getting asked for husky parts. Its there own dam products.

Rant over sorry guys

Rant over sorry guys

I will assume that some number cruncher in Germany decided that there just wasn't enough of a market in the US. Why would he/she think that? God only knows. All they need to do is ship a gross of each to a Central Stihl supply in the states and sell them on-line... don't even need to involve dealers. That would keep the price reasonable.

I will assume that some number cruncher in Germany decided that there just wasn't enough of a market in the US. Why would he/she think that? God only knows. All they need to do is ship a gross of each to a Central Stihl supply in the states and sell them on-line... don't even need to involve dealers. That would keep the price reasonable.

Yeah good explanation. So could the main distribution whatever be contacted and asked I wonder.

I'm not even in the states and it annoys me haha

Stihl's main domestic push for chain maintenance is the Pferd 2-in-1 filing system in creamsicle colors. They obviously have their reasons for not offering the progressive depth gauge tools..., perhaps a U.S. patent issue somewhere along the line? Perhaps the fact that Carlton dropped the File-o-Plate to never have it re-introduced to the market again..., presumably for lack of interest? The Husky gauges don't exactly fly off the hooks and most Husky dealers don't even stock them. The typical fixed depth raker tools are indisputably the norm in North America and will likely remain so simply due to the lack of knowledge across the board about the progressive style alternative.

As for an over seas source, maybe the guy in Greece who was middling the 500i's a while back? His handle escapes me at the moment and I don't remember if he is a member here or over on Opie. Maybe someone else knows who I'm talking about. And near as I can figure, it'll take two trustworthy players to pull this off. One there, and one here. Pretty doubtful they'll both contribute to the cause simply out of the goodness of their hearts which will add to the cost. Combined with shipping for whatever quantity, the whole enterprise gets top heavy pretty fast cost-wise.

A better idea to promote would be finding someone domestically to actually make them, or Hannes' devices, or both. Gotta be someone out there with the simple tooling to knock them out by the dozens. Material should be cheap as should overhead and shipping.

Keeping it right here at home makes way more sense.

Perhaps @Mike Kunte would elaborate further on his approach?
Mike Kunte's RAKER GAUGES

Back