STIHL Progressive Depth Gauge Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl's main domestic push for chain maintenance is the Pferd 2-in-1 filing system in creamsicle colors. They obviously have their reasons for not offering the progressive depth gauge tools..., perhaps a U.S. patent issue somewhere along the line? Perhaps the fact that Carlton dropped the File-o-Plate to never have it re-introduced to the market again..., presumably for lack of interest? The Husky gauges don't exactly fly off the hooks and most Husky dealers don't even stock them. The typical fixed depth raker tools are indisputably the norm in North America and will likely remain so simply due to the lack of knowledge across the board about the progressive style alternative.

As for an over seas source, maybe the guy in Greece who was middling the 500i's a while back? His handle escapes me at the moment and I don't remember if he is a member here or over on Opie. Maybe someone else knows who I'm talking about. And near as I can figure, it'll take two trustworthy players to pull this off. One there, and one here. Pretty doubtful they'll both contribute to the cause simply out of the goodness of their hearts which will add to the cost. Combined with shipping for whatever quantity, the whole enterprise gets top heavy pretty fast cost-wise.

A better idea to promote would be finding someone domestically to actually make them, or Hannes' devices, or both. Gotta be someone out there with the simple tooling to knock them out by the dozens. Material should be cheap as should overhead and shipping.

Keeping it right here at home makes way more sense.

Perhaps @Mike Kunte would elaborate further on his approach?
Mike Kunte's RAKER GAUGES

That 2 in 1 butcher's chain as far as I'm concerned yeah it sorta makes a homeowner with no real idea get a chain to cut but yeah ewww. It butcher's files too but yeah has its place for sure

Have a few mate's with them and yeah they agree but they also just don't care they can't be bothered learning about chain sharpening and when it gets real bad they buy a new chain.

Is it the "now" society?

I was polite......

I haven't mentioned Brexit yet.....

Have you asked if they have any of these as well...?

99b410b780c7e2edfb28159593e2803e.jpg

Hahahaha just tried at the dealer in town haha you boys know the answer.... these here 2 in 1s are all you will ever need bla bla bla and bla... and yeah nah that part number does not exist. Luckily across the road husky has there's on the shelf but.

Speaking of which have any of you jokers got the 325 version? I was thinking I'll adjust a 3/8 . 1 end for 325 and the other for in the middle of hard and soft on a 3/8 chain. A measurement would be much appreciated if anyone has 1 and a ruler handy?

Stihl's main domestic push for chain maintenance is the Pferd 2-in-1 filing system in creamsicle colors. They obviously have their reasons for not offering the progressive depth gauge tools..., perhaps a U.S. patent issue somewhere along the line? Perhaps the fact that Carlton dropped the File-o-Plate to never have it re-introduced to the market again..., presumably for lack of interest? The Husky gauges don't exactly fly off the hooks and most Husky dealers don't even stock them. The typical fixed depth raker tools are indisputably the norm in North America and will likely remain so simply due to the lack of knowledge across the board about the progressive style alternative.

As for an over seas source, maybe the guy in Greece who was middling the 500i's a while back? His handle escapes me at the moment and I don't remember if he is a member here or over on Opie. Maybe someone else knows who I'm talking about. And near as I can figure, it'll take two trustworthy players to pull this off. One there, and one here. Pretty doubtful they'll both contribute to the cause simply out of the goodness of their hearts which will add to the cost. Combined with shipping for whatever quantity, the whole enterprise gets top heavy pretty fast cost-wise.

A better idea to promote would be finding someone domestically to actually make them, or Hannes' devices, or both. Gotta be someone out there with the simple tooling to knock them out by the dozens. Material should be cheap as should overhead and shipping.

Keeping it right here at home makes way more sense.

Perhaps @Mike Kunte would elaborate further on his approach?
Mike Kunte's RAKER GAUGES

Hey Pogo!

Apologies for the long delay! I simply followed Hannes69's tutorial. Process is simple enough, and tools required are minimal. Hand filing did the rest. Only problem is the gauges are not hardened. Not a biggie, but it does mean that you need to remove the gauge before running the flat file over the gauges. Slows one down a bit... As stated, I have been very happy with the Stihl gauge also. I'm really surprised that these gauges are not available in the States - you guys are light years ahead of us in deepest , darkest, Africa....

Anyway, you are correct. Anyone with a machine shop should be able to churn these gauges out by the dozen. But - at less than $5, it's almost not worth it. Don't forget, we on AS are a sort of "elite" crowd - people who aim at acquiring and improving our skills in order to make our chainsaws perform better! Most folks out there don't even know that a chainsaw "blade" can be sharpened.... (I hate it when they call it a blade!!!)

I think items such as these are undervalued by most users, and as a manufacturer, I'd also rather sell a $40 2-in-1 gizmo (which almost anyone can use), that a $4 item...

Anyway - if you guys put together an order list, I would be happy to purchase the gauges locally and send them over to you. I'll even speak to my local dealer to see if she would give us better pricing. You guys would just need to arrange to collect locally from one another!

Mike

Rang our local stihl shop after finding them listed on the stihl au site after I did a search out of interest not expecting to find them available here.

not in stock till late Nov, so pre ordered some.

It was the first they had heard of them.

That's a good sign perhaps they might roll them out everywhere

I can ask here in the UK if you still need an EU mule...just give me some part numbers and qty :sweet:

Back