Stihl quick chain adjuster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Saw!

:clap: Well I just returned from buying my new MS361...without the QCA. I used the $ 30 it would have cost to help buy a case, and my first chisel chain, and a 3/8" file kit.:clap: Thank you all for helping me to decide to sell my 029 and buy this saw....it will sure make for a lot more fun when cutting my firewood.:clap:

I think you'll like the 361 a lot! Congratulations on your new saw and good cutting!

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

:clap: Well I just returned from buying my new MS361...without the QCA. I used the $ 30 it would have cost to help buy a case, and my first chisel chain, and a 3/8" file kit.:clap: Thank you all for helping me to decide to sell my 029 and buy this saw....it will sure make for a lot more fun when cutting my firewood.:clap:

Congrats, good choise!!! :clap: :clap:

Forgot to say earlier, the QCA helps collect more noodles under the clutch cover when ripping wood from the side as well.....:mad:

It is a couple of years since I last used a QCA-infected Stihl.....

I have used a stihl QD system on a small saw (can't remember which) and hated it! tensioning is really awkward, and cleaning it is a pain (I try to clean my saws at the end of every day). The mechanism looks flimsy; the grub screw worked loose on the one I was using, and has to be removed to turn the bar over. The whole thing just seems to add a layer of complication to a system that works just fine: how much trouble is it really to undo two nuts with a scrench???

I saw a 361 with QD on ebay and was thinking about getting it and converting to standard, but when I phoned stihl R&D they told me the two types of cover cannot be interchanged; the whole saw is the QD type.

Just my thoughts on the subject....

First post...welcome aboard! :cheers:

Congrats, good choise!!! :clap: :clap:

Forgot to say earlier, the QCA helps collect more noodles under the clutch cover when ripping wood from the side as well.....:mad:

It is a couple of years since I last used a QCA-infected Stihl.....

For the last time (sure) you've never used a QCA on a PRO saw; you a have no idea how well it works or if it does in fact "collect more noodles".

These devices may work fine, but I just don't subscribe to the whole "tooless" concept. I agree with Troll and a couple other posters that this is pretty much the answer to a question nobody asked. "Tooless" is a gimmick that appeals to the brainless. By the way, what's the replacement cost of a side cover with one of these goofy ideas vs. that of a standard one?

I mean, how complicated is a scrench? If you can't use a screwdriver, you shouldn't be using a chainsaw.

. By the way, what's the replacement cost of a side cover with one of these goofy ideas vs. that of a standard one?

I mean, how complicated is a scrench? If you can't use a screwdriver, you shouldn't be using a chainsaw.

I guess Stihl anticipated your question -the QA side cover is the same price as the standard cover... Doesn't include the drive gear ($38) but I've never seen a bad one, ever...

It sure is useful if you forgot your scrench - oh - brainless ;)

I guess Stihl anticipated your question -the QA side cover is the same price as the standard cover... Doesn't include the drive gear ($38) but I've never seen a bad one, ever...

It sure is useful if you forgot your scrench - oh - brainless ;)

I guess there are a lot of brainless people out there considering the other saw manufacturers are copying it as fast as they can.

These devices may work fine, but I just don't subscribe to the whole "tooless" concept. I agree with Troll and a couple other posters that this is pretty much the answer to a question nobody asked. "Tooless" is a gimmick that appeals to the brainless. By the way, what's the replacement cost of a side cover with one of these goofy ideas vs. that of a standard one?

Spike your too old fashioned ;). I don't think stihl is in another world on this concept. Look at today's modern vehicles, I doubt anyone asked for keyless entery either, but it is sure handy when you don't have your keys isn't it? Why power windows, manual crank windows seemed to work fine?

Spike your too old fashioned ;). I don't think stihl is in another world on this concept. Look at today's modern vehicles, I doubt anyone asked for keyless entery either, but it is sure handy when you don't have your keys isn't it? Why power windows, manual crank windows seemed to work fine?

Heck, most autos have a push button start now.:dizzy: :dizzy:

Last edited:

I chose the QCA so I don't have to carry the swrench around. I bought my saw for work in rough terrain where tripping and falling in heavy brush is a very real hazard and I'd rather not have my body stabbed by a screwdriver or some other tool. Does that make me brainless?

Oh, and I have operated older screw tension saws too, and I've had the adjustment screws bend and slip, throwing the chain off. Had to finish that job by taking a screwdriver and jamming the bar forward as much as possible then tightening the nuts (ended up being a problem with the bar).

Personally, I think both systems have their flaws.

Hmmm.. My truck is a stick shift, manual windows, key entry with key start. Don't even have a light in the glove box (who keeps gloves in there anyhow?). Gimmicks I say, and just worthless trinkets. :monkey:

:greenchainsaw:

Hmmm.. My truck is a stick shift, manual windows, key entry with key start. Don't even have a light in the glove box (who keeps gloves in there anyhow?). Gimmicks I say, and just worthless trinkets. :monkey:

Sorry to hear that Andy.........................It must be an upper midwest thing having all the toys ................It suck's when it 90 out side and the A/C is on and by accident you bump the heated seat button.......:) :)

Last edited:

Most of my trucks don't have all those new fangled features either lol ;). Just be happy yours has that "once gimmicky device" the "key start".

Last edited:

Same here. I searched around until I found mine. Manual tranny, floor shifted T-case, manual hubs, manual windows/locks, even rubber floormats and vinyl bench seat. Was hard to find, but very worth it.

Sorry to hear that Andy.........................It must be an upper midwest thing having all the toys ................It suck's when it 90 out side and the A/C is on and by accident you bump the heated seat button.......:) :)

I bet you don't have toe venting on the floorboards of your truck. My 78 has that, but it sucks when you accidentally cover up the hole with your foot when its 90 out. I seem to remember to keep my foot over it in the winter when its -20 out, except in between shifts.

lolol no AC or heated seats either...

I HATE it in the wife's car -damn power windows, power mirrors, keyless and all the widgets you could [not] want, but I really hate the HEATED SEATS. Take's me about and hour of sweating before I figure it out. Brainless... I guess..

lolol no AC or heated seats either...

I HATE it in the wife's car -damn power windows, power mirrors, keyless and all the widgets you could [not] want, but I really hate the HEATED SEATS. Take's me about and hour of sweating before I figure it out. Brainless... I guess..

Been there done that many times........Or when I use my wifes keys, her key fob is set for driver #2 and your knees darn near break the dash..:) :)

Last edited:
I chose the QCA so I don't have to carry the swrench around. I bought my saw for work in rough terrain where tripping and falling in heavy brush is a very real hazard and I'd rather not have my body stabbed by a screwdriver or some other tool. Does that make me brainless?

Oh, and I have operated older screw tension saws too, and I've had the adjustment screws bend and slip, throwing the chain off. Had to finish that job by taking a screwdriver and jamming the bar forward as much as possible then tightening the nuts (ended up being a problem with the bar).

Personally, I think both systems have their flaws.

OK, I'll admit the brainless comment was a bit out of bounds. I was thinking of the type of customers who I see in my store that get excited about these no tool gimmicks. They really do make me nervous, and you wonder if they will be back missing a limb but adding a lawyer.

Your reasoning is completely valid, and considering the amount of screnches that get lost in the woods........................

Back