Stihl return policy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofaroo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My neighbor bought a new 311 about a month ago. He has had it back to the dealer twice for hard starting issues with no improvement. He has now given up on the dealer and wants me to take a look at it.

I would like to know what his options are. I suggested that he return the saw and buy an Echo but he is under the impression that he can’t return it. Is that correct? What is Stihl’s policy on returns?

If he can’t return it I’ll see what I can do to make it a functional saw but I don’t want to potentially void his warranty until I know his options.

Call these folks, and talk to a rep, if you all are in OK.

Blue Mountain Equipment, Inc.
1800 S. Airport Dr.
McKinney, Texas 75069
Telephone: 972-548-9045
Fax: 800-874-0544

Thanks! I’ll give them a call. Is this some sort of regional office that can make a decision on returning the saw? The warranty info you sent states that it can only be exchanged within 7 days. Hopefully the fact that he’s had it back to the dealer twice with no improvement will help plead his case.

If all they will do is exchange it, is there another model that would more reliable?

On the other hand, if he has to keep the saw is there a known issue that causes the hard starting problem on the 311?

Even if it was within the 7 day period?

Once out the door it was considered a used saw, they would say, WTF am are we going to do with a used saw. Take it up with Stihl corp if you want. No real warranty either as there was always the excuse of improper useage or bad/straight gas.

I would like to hear someday that they,Stihl, actually took a saw back and gave a refund or replacement, sure has not been my experience or any other I have heard or read about. Not even the best Stihl dealer I ever dealt with would once the saw went out the door.
I do know of but won't go into details here. ;)

I have been involved with Stihl since the early 90's, and the warranty thing is fluid. It is true that most things folks scream warranty, are not really a warranty thing, and the 7 day return thing, I have found that it is iffy, depending on the dealer, and the rep, as the distributor usually pushes fixing the existing saw, instead of replacing it. But, if the wheel is squeaky enough, they usually get better results. And bigger customers usually get better treatment too.
One of the worst examples that I remember was the local Haunted House was given a huge lot of ms170s under warranty, when it was not really warrantable. Why they capitulated so easily, I am not sure. They were given at least a dozen new saws under warranty.

I have been involved with Stihl since the early 90's, and the warranty thing is fluid. It is true that most things folks scream warranty, are not really a warranty thing, and the 7 day return thing, I have found that it is iffy, depending on the dealer, and the rep, as the distributor usually pushes fixing the existing saw, instead of replacing it. But, if the wheel is squeaky enough, they usually get better results. And bigger customers usually get better treatment too.
One of the worst examples that I remember was the local Haunted House was given a huge lot of ms170s under warranty, when it was not really warrantable. Why they capitulated so easily, I am not sure. They were given at least a dozen new saws under warranty.

My experiences likely differ from many others but have yet to see or even hear of a saw being replaced under warranty here. Had a good long time friend that worked at a Stihl Dealership on the parts counter, he told me management pushed all the service guys to tell customers no parts are to be replaced under warranty, the area rep would back them up. For my own problems they were one bearing fail under 5 months, three carbs that had problems from the first start up, the dealer mechanics reset then 5 - 6 times each but would not replace them, two modules that stopped working in first 3 months on a 362, the third has been problem free. I just bought the parts and fixed the saws myself and it does not set me back much as tools are a write off for me. Would suck though for others if they couldn`t fix their own and no write off for parts cost.

I do know of but won't go into details here. ;)

It would leave me with a little less sour taste in the mouth if I did hear they would come through for a customer but they seem to think their manufacturing standards are so high that no tool they sell is defective at time of sale. Therefore all problems are the owners doing.

No there have been plenty of warranty repairs here in the Ohio region, but as I have learned from this forum, things are quite different up there.....

If their policy is return or exchange is only seven days they should make that known before the sale. The last time I bought a new saw I didn’t even use it for a couple of months.

I have never been told that when buying new OPE from a dealer either. Won`t have to worry about that in the future, won`t ever have to buy another new saw.

IMHO trying to deal with Stihl reps, well they are sort of like teats on a bull.............

What might wake up these buckets of lard, is to start suing Stihl in civil court for breach of warranty. Tell the Stihl rep your lawyer is going to make it a class action lawsuit. If He/She don't deal with the problem, have their boss'es name on the lawsuit and have them served. They will be liable for legal fees, and sometimes double/treble damages.

I've done this with insurance companies...... I got response from their lawyer: How can we make you whole Mr. XXXXX? and avoid going to court........

Getting back to the OP about the 311 starting issues and no disrespect for the owner but stihls can/are a little different in starting. My story. I went to look at/buy an 036. The owner told me it was always hard starting and had it back to the dealer numerous times but they could never find a problem. Only reason he was selling it was because he was moving to FL. I put the saw on choke,pulled it and heard it burp,flipped the lever up and pulled again and it fired right up. The owners jaw about hit the floor. He said he had about pulled his shoulder out of joint trying to get it started.

Back