stihl rm vs rs chains---which one and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to be fair, I went down and dug out the 2 new loops of STIHL chain I have (the color gets worn off the tie straps fast on used chains).
Both are 16", semi-chisel, low-kickback chains: 26RMC3-62 (.325, .063, 62 DL).
Both have the green tie strap on the left-hand side.

This may vary with the drive link count, and type of chain, because of cutter sequencing, etc.?
Because STIHL is so consistent, all of yours may be consistently on the same side, if they are all the same DL count? Just speculating.

Philbert

I was surprised to look at my MS230 and see that it came new from the shop with a full chisel, "yellow" chain.
There are no coloured tie straps on it, but there are no ramps on the drive links and they are very obviously "7" rather than "?" shaped cutters.
I'd expect the saws to arrive at the dealer, supplied with a "Factory recommended chain". (RM3)
Or do they just get in the powerheads and install the bar and chain of their choosing?

IMG_4778.JPG.jpeg IMG_4777.JPG.jpeg

Just to be fair, I went down and dug out the 2 new loops of STIHL chain I have (the color gets worn off the tie straps fast on used chains).
Both are 16", semi-chisel, low-kickback chains: 26RMC3-62 (.325, .063, 62 DL).
Both have the green tie strap on the left-hand side.

This may vary with the drive link count, and type of chain, because of cutter sequencing, etc.?
Because STIHL is so consistent, all of yours may be consistently on the same side, if they are all the same DL count? Just speculating.

Philbert

Both having the green tie strap on the left hand would correspond to what I'm seeing. Just for the record as well I'm talking about boxed up chain, but as mentioned before I do not know where the boxing is being done at. As for drive link count, no I have chain sizes for 16,20,25,28, and 36" chain. Drive link count I believe would be 60, 72, 84, 91, and 114. Most all of the chains are fairly new, few years old maybe, some have been bought locally, some have been bought off ebay and some through Bailey's. The 25" chains are my dad's and two of those are actually quite old, 4 or 5 years or more. When sharpening I always looked for that colored link as a starting point and it was then that I noticed the colored link was on the back(left) side. Since then I've just kind of kept an eye on that, maybe I'm weird but I just wanted to share it as it's how I identify my chains quickly.

What I've noticed with Stihl chain is that if the colored tie strap is on the left side it is full chisel chain, and with the semi chisel the colored tie strap is on the right side of the chain.
Both are . . . semi-chisel . . . chains: . . . Both have the green tie strap on the left-hand side.
Both having the green tie strap on the left hand would correspond to what I'm seeing.

I'm confused. Mine seem to be the opposite of what you posted earlier. No big deal.

Philbert

Ok, I couldn't resist... I have about four dozen new Stihl chains in the box. They include 63PM, 63PM3, 63PS, 63PS3, 71PM3, 26RM, 26RM3, 26RS, 26RS3, 33RM, 33RM3, 33RS, 33RSC, 33RS3 and 33RSF (skip tooth) type chains.
Every single one of them had the colored tie strap on the left side, regardless of whether it was green or yellow.
All of these were purchased within the last year, most within the last four months. I did not check any of the used chains, except the ones that were actually mounted on saws (11 chains) and they were the same, too. I don't think any of those are more than a year old, either. All of these are easy to identify as full- or semi-chisel at a glance, by looking at the cutter end profile. The full chisel cutters are a little wider, too.

Ok, I couldn't resist... I have about four dozen new Stihl chains in the box. They include 63PM, 63PM3, 63PS, 63PS3, 71PM3, 26RM, 26RM3, 26RS, 26RS3, 33RM, 33RM3, 33RS, 33RSC, 33RS3 and 33RSF (skip tooth) type chains.
Every single one of them had the colored tie strap on the left side, regardless of whether it was green or yellow.
All of these were purchased within the last year, most within the last four months. I did not check any of the used chains, except the ones that were actually mounted on saws (11 chains) and they were the same, too. I don't think any of those are more than a year old, either. All of these are easy to identify as full- or semi-chisel at a glance, by looking at the cutter end profile. The full chisel cutters are a little wider, too.
That's a lot of chains to have bought in the last year!!!

And yes chain identification is pretty easy just by looking at the cutter.:chainsaw:

I'm confused. Mine seem to be the opposite of what you posted earlier. No big deal.

Philbert

No you're correct, sleep is rare anymore for me so I must have been confused. I will go make 100% sure on my chains but it looks to be pure coincidence on the tie straps for me. I get some spare time and I'll look to see where I got each chain just for ***** n giggles. I found it odd when I noticed it but I am wrong on it as you'll read below.

I did some looking at Bomgaars today and while I didn't go too in depth I grabbed RS and RM randomly and they all had the colored tie strap on the left side as well. Just when I thought I was on to something, oh well it'll work for me while I have these chains. I can just look up at the hook where I hang them and know without having to look at the cutter. I won't be buying anymore semi chisel anyways, thought I was being smart using that on dry ash logs but it's just not as smooth cutting. 20/100 eye site requires contacts but they actually make my vision worse when looking at something really up close, it's an excuse anyways.

My guess is yours were made off a loop the ones with color on right if all others are opposite.

My guess is yours were made off a loop the ones with color on right if all others are opposite.

I know the semi chisel chains were all bought through Bailey's, I'm pretty sure all the full chisel was deals off of ebay except for the 36" chain that came on my 661, and the safety chain that came on my 261. the 25" chain for dad's 044 I do not know where it was bought but both links are on the left side as well as the few chains my buddy has out here for his 441. I went out there and looked at them all and I'm not ****in with you guys, I just figured that's the way it was.

You guys are saying all your colored tie straps are on the left side correct? All my chisel chain is on the left side, so only my semi chisel has them on the right side an all that came from Bailey's. Easy enough to figure out but damn, like I said before I thought I was on to em!

I think bailey's spins up the loops.

I had a buddy that bought some stihl chain from bailey's and I think he said it didn't have a colored link?

I had a buddy that bought some stihl chain from bailey's and I think he said it didn't have a colored link?

That's what I would guess, I apologize for all the hoopla.

If all the loops have the colored tie strap on the same side, that might make sense. That could be linked to the assembly line, or manufacturing process.

Dealer made loops are less controlled. Today, I pulled out an unused loop at a GTG that had 74 cutters facing one way, and 4 facing the other. These rivets were clearly hand spun.

Philbert

That's a lot of chains to have bought in the last year!!!

Is this the part where I have to admit to how many chainsaws I bought in the last year? I refuse. It's not a sickness, I don't have a problem. I'm not in denial. It's perfectly normal to build a second garage to hold all your... uh... mmm... vintage car collection. Yeah, that's what is in there. It's not, like, a bunch of shelves with chainsaws on them or anything like that. I'm fine. Really.

CAD-xray.jpg

Saw Chain Cutter Types

Here is an illustration, from the Carlton catalog, which may help.

Screen shot 2016-04-10 at 11.54.31 AM.png

In my mind (not the one pictured in the post above), there is Chisel chain, Chipper chain, and a range of things in-between that qualify as Semi-Chisel chain, even if it is called 'Micro Chisel', 'Chamfer Chisel', 'Rapid Micro', or 'Ralph'.

I am sure that there are some technical, engineering, and even performace differences between these middle chains, based on the cutter profile and radius of the corner, that keep engineers at STIHL and Oregon up late at night, but not enough to make a practical distinction for most of us, in this context.

Philbert

And to clarify further:

RS and RM are yellow
RS3 and RM3 are the green low kickback versions
Exactly. I used to run RS (full chisel) but have switched to all RM (semi chisel). All hard wood. Just stays sharp longer.
My dealer told me yellow links is pro chain, green links is low kickback stuff with the huge raker deal or whatever.

Despite having an IQ well over room temperature I still won't remember that next time I need chains. Did I mention that I like Stihl chains, but hate their terminology?

LoveStihlQuality

I decided to return the chain and get the yellow semi chisel chain. Just to clarify, I want 33 RM 84 to get the yellow semi chisel, right? Is it possible to get the safety chain if you buy the RM series? I just want to make sure that the dealer orders the right part.

Lots of good info in this thread.
Exactly. Keep empty box if you send someone, send box.

LoveStihlQuality

I told him to order the right chain, 33RM-84. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't possible to get safety chain in the RM version which it looks like it isn't possible.
Plain RS or RM are not safety. They will be yellow box. Also one of the tie straps will be yellow vs green for safety.

LoveStihlQuality

The last 5 or so Stihl PS chain loops Iv'e bought from a main Stihl dealer ( I had to introduce him to PS chain ) now he doesn't want to sell any other Lo Pro chains have had no coloured tie strap I think he is spinning up loops from a roll & when i asked him about it his reply was (if you can't tell what chain you've got you shouldn't be using it) Wouldn't mind but he didn't even know about it until I enlightened him. Ah well at least I can now get loops at a good price.

Back