Stihl RMC vs. RMC3 Saftey Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've never tried one, try a full-chisel chain. RSC (yellow) or RSC3 (green safety chain).

I've compared .325 RSC and RMC3 on my MS290, and I like the RSC much better. I haven't timed the cuts, but it is noticeably faster.

Sure, but the RSC will also dull faster if the wood isn't clean = at least bring a file and spare chain! :)

I thought about the RSC / RSC3 chain but I read that it dulls quicker especially if you get into some dirty wood. I may be cutting some trees that have been laying on the ground for some time.

What I suspected! :)

Well, I finally decided to give the regular RMC chain a try. So I went up to my local Stihl dealer this afternoon to get it and what a disappointing experience it turned out to be. I went in and asked for the regular RMC chain. The guy said no problem and handed me a packaged RMC3 chain. So I clarified that I was looking for the yellow chain, not the green. The guy got a surprised look on his face and said we only carry green chain. I asked if they could order the yellow chain in for me and the answer was no. He then added "you gotta watch out for that yellow chain. It'll get ya".

So I went home and call around a few more places. The first shop I called the guy said with question in his voice "So you want the aggressive chain?" Another place said they have the RMC and I asked to be sure that it was not the RMC3. He said "actually it is RMC3 but I'm not sure what the 3 means". In the end no one carried RMC but a few places did have the RSC.

I started thinking maybe all this is a sign that I'm not supposed to have non safety chain, so I ended up buying the RMC3 after all. I also ended up picking up an extra bar. Maybe one day I'll find an RMC chain on eBay.

It is the other way around here - you would have a hard time getting RSC3 or RMC3 chain.......:)

For those not familiar with stihl chain I'll point out that their 3 version (at least all the ones I"ve seen) which is their low kick back version, is not the same as some consumer safety chain. The consumer safety chain typically has an extra bumper on a link between cutters.

The stihl chain like 26rmc3 or 63pmc3 have an extra bumper that coexists with the normal depth gauge and pretty much only hits the wood when the chain goes around the tip, folding out the extra bumper.

The typical consumer chain with the separate bumper does extract a performance penalty, but again if sharp is just fine for most uses. I have a bunch of it because it came standard on all my redmaxes.

For clearing brush it is just fine (I use if for that).

I'll also say that clearing brush with a saw is dangerous hard work and is to be taken seriously - thus the training.

Other than the risk of waving a saw around in the air crashing through brush, another common issue is having the chain come off due to the weird way the chain is making contacting the brush. Makes it a much bigger problem than bucking, say. So I would never clear brush away from home without a spare chain because often when the chain hops off it gets hammerred by the sprocket and needs attention before it will fit into the bar grooves again.

Several very good points in that post! :clap::clap:

Understood. But if you've never tried cutting with sharp full chisel chain, you have not reached full chainsaw enlightenment. :greenchainsaw:

IMO, the longevity of full-chisel cutting efficacy is actually better than some make it out to be. It can cut through punky and slightly dirty wood just fine. It may not be the best for your cutting needs, but I highly recommend trying at least one chain. Good luck!

I would up that. If you've never tried fresh square off the grinder, further enlightenment is possible.

Although I don't cut brush with it, want a smaller cutter.

Back