Stihl RS, Oregon LPX, Carlton Full Chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one do you like best?

• Stihl

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Oregon

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Maybe I have the manufacturers designation wrong, but I am talking about Full Chisel chain for all three.
Which is your favorite?

I was gifted a Oregon EXL which I haven't tried yet. I think that's their newest chain on the market. I was also given some Oregon RM? safety chain to run on my 261. Seems softer than my usual Stihl chain when hand filing.

I tried a couple loops of Carlton last year. It was nice and soft, easy to file like Oregon but it didn't have a witness mark on the top and it was hard for me to get it sharpened right. I also tried some Forester stuff last year. It really seemed to hold an edge, but it was tough to file once it was dull. Guys are saying the C83/C85 Husqvarna stuff is nice for the money, but I've yet to try it. Running EXL Oregon at the moment. Similar hardness to LGX, which I like since it's easy to file free-hand, but it doesn't seem to stretch quite so much.

Stihl chain will hold an edge longer but costs significantly more. I tried some Carlton and it did not seem to cut as fast as Stihl or Oregon. I have mostly Oregon LGX and Trilink full chisel now as well as a couple loops of EXL that I have not yet used.

The only knock on Stihl other than the price is that it is a bear to hand sharpen if it has been rocked.

Back