Stihl running out of saws and trimmers!! Why???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am having a hard time getting saws and trimmers here lately. Did Stihl have to close their plant? If so, are they still closed?
I was trying to get in touch with Wayne Lemmond at "The Beach" about some parts. This was his reply.
Screenshot_20200627-220446_Gmail.jpg

Yeah, I think that the trouble is in downtown, near the river. The Mower Shop is in a pretty rough part of town though.

Louisville Outdoor Turf is a really good dealer out the east end in Middletown close to Meade Equipment, Boyd Cat (formerly Whayne Supply), and Jefferson County Stone on English Station. Cottrell Farm Equipment is an awesome Stihl dealer in Simpsonville out US 60.

That said, the Mower Shop on Preston is pretty out of the way of the protests, which have kinda centered in the 6th/Jefferson area near LMPD & the rest of Metro headquarters.

Louisville Outdoor Turf is a really good dealer out the east end in Middletown close to Meade Equipment, Boyd Cat (formerly Whayne Supply), and Jefferson County Stone on English Station. Cottrell Farm Equipment is an awesome Stihl dealer in Simpsonville out US 60.

That said, the Mower Shop on Preston is pretty out of the way of the protests, which have kinda centered in the 6th/Jefferson area near LMPD & the rest of Metro headquarters.
I say the mower shop, because they have a large warehouse full of Stihl units, normally.

Chain saws and line trimmers fascinate me. The saw engines crank counter clockwise (CCW), whereas the lime trimmers crank clockwise (CW). Not sure why they ran the line trimmers the other direction -- maybe to match lawnmower engines? Any ideas?
In general, engines are cranked in the direction opposite to that seen if you were facing the output shaft.
An old car being started with a crank-handle at the front, is cranked clockwise, which is anti-clockwise if you're standing at the back of the engine watching the flywheel & clutch rotate.
Chainsaws are cranked anti-clockwise so that the output shaft & clutch rotate clockwise.
Most trimmers are cranked clockwise because the direction of rotation of the drive shaft is reversed by the skew-gear drive at the end. At least one exception is the Husqvarna 165R which is cranked anticlockwise and has a bevel-gear gearbox meaning that the direction of rotation of the drive is not reversed.

Checkout the pawn shops for used saws some are in good condition. Plus businesses are slow too. Haggle,

Ive bought a 555fx clearing saw, a 550xp markii, a 390xp, a 395xp and an echo cs355t since march. Prior to that every piece of power equipment I owned was a stihl. But you cant mail order stihl so there you go. guess im a Husqvarna guy now. its sort of strange you can get anything including new cars delivered to your house, but not a stihl. Not even an air filter unless you buy aftermarket. for me lifes too short to run stihl. If I had bought 5 pieces of stihl equipment it would have taken at least 2 days in the time wasted driving to and from dealer for each and having to return after it arrived because it wouldnt have been stocked.
they make great stuff but I dont jump through hoops for anyone.

Ive bought a 555fx clearing saw, a 550xp markii, a 390xp, a 395xp and an echo cs355t since march. Prior to that every piece of power equipment I owned was a stihl. But you cant mail order stihl so there you go. guess im a Husqvarna guy now. its sort of strange you can get anything including new cars delivered to your house, but not a stihl. Not even an air filter unless you buy aftermarket. for me lifes too short to run stihl. If I had bought 5 pieces of stihl equipment it would have taken at least 2 days in the time wasted driving to and from dealer for each and having to return after it arrived because it wouldnt have been stocked.
they make great stuff but I dont jump through hoops for anyone.
I hear ya, that's why I decided to try a makita saw... parts are not available locally, but I have spare saws and everything is online and cheaper than stihl local.
Mixed bag on the makita... There's always a phone for stihl parts, so I don't have to drive 30 miles ish to wherever don't got it. For me there's 8-9 stihl dealerships in half an hour from my shop, and between them all I haven't had to wait for any parts. Just for new toys, and that's only recently...

We are having a hard time getting orders in We use to get them the next day if ordered by 10am, now may take a week.
our sales are up 200% and the shop work has tripled . Got in 2 362 wraps that were 2 weeks late

Wow, next day?! It usually takes 2-3 weeks here!
The dealer only puts in orders once a week.
I suppose if really needed it right there and then they'd do it, but the shipping costs would be crazy.

Probably 5-6 weeks now with the Corona slowing things up.

Back